Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Isla thought about it. She spent all night thinking about it with Jane. They had to go out and buy more ice cream, and because the situation called for it, pizza.

There was no time to cook when both were so busy contemplating what it would mean for Isla to come out and allow herself to be Arturo Calendri's mistress for a month.

She probably gained ten pounds that night.

Would she even really be his mistress? He wasn't married. Mistress seemed the wrong word.

Either way, she'd definitely be some arm candy, and everyone who saw her with him, including her own family, would know what was up. If they didn't know what she was doing, then at the bare minimum, they would know what Arturo was using her for.

Neither option was pleasant, or would endear her to the family.

"If they would be so pissed off at you, is it worth doing?" Jane asked.

That was a good thing to think about. "Good point," Isla said. She spent the next ten minutes seriously thinking about how her family would react.

"They won't disown me, but they'll be disappointed," she said.

Jane pulled another hot slice from the box. She had insane metabolism that Isla was jealous of.

This was one of those few times where her jealousy didn't rear its ugly head. Probably because she was too damned busy thinking about the consequences of her actions.

"Are you prepared to live with their disappointment?" Jane asked, taking a bite.

Another good question. "I'm their daughter. My parents love me, and I think my brother would be pissed, but not so much disappointed. I think it would just be embarrassing more than anything for them."

"Okay," Jane said, and she seemed to be waiting for Isla to continue.

Another one of Jane's ways to keep Isla talking when she wasn't sure she wanted to do much of anything.

"My grandfather will be sad and disappointed, but then he'll have his business back. My aunts always said he saw it as much of a baby to him as his daughters were."

"Okay, but you have to think about this a little more clearly. Would he want you to do this?"

Isla shook her head. She didn't even need to think about that one. "No, he wouldn't."

"I'm sensing a but, in there."

Isla sucked in a deep breath, held it for four seconds, and then blew it out. She couldn't even tell if that helped or not. It felt a lot like it hadn't. "But then he would be happy, and the family would have the business back, and no one would have to worry about debt collectors, or selling their family homes."