Ch. 10: More Questions

Kari's POV

Zahra touched down at the edge of the desert, with Telem following suit soon after. Saden leapt down off the white dragoness, and started checking over the equipment. I sat on Telem for a moment, gathering my resolve, before jumping down.

"Ready to go?" Saden asked, not looking at me. I was silent as I nodded, which made my brother have to look at me for my answer.

He didn't meet my eye, instead nodding. "Good, so let's get going. I don't want to tire out Zahra and Telem by flying the entire way. So we're going to be walking a lot."

I didn't answer, but Saden took my silence as confirmation, and started walking. I silently followed, with the dragons shifting into their smaller forms and going to sit at their usual places on us.

"Kari... Are you mad at me?" Saden asked me after an hour of walking in the desert. The sun was beating down mercilessly, and both of us were growing irritable. Not the best time for Saden to ask this question.

"Yes I am." This was the first time I've spoken in the time since we left Sutomura.

And you better believe that I'm angry. I know that we've been banished from Konoha, but still! I want to see my friends again! Surely I can do that?

"I just... I don't understand why you won't let me talk with them." I said, voicing my thoughts.

Saden sighed. "Kari, you've only just become a rogue ninja. And don't give me that look, three years isn't that long." He cut off my protesting. "But one thing you need to understand is that rogue ninjas are hunted down by the village they defected from. Meaning that Konoha will send powerful ninja after us, and they will be aiming to kill."

"But-"

"No buts about it. Your friends Kakashi and Daken? They're some of the strongest shinobi in Konoha. I know, I've done my research. It is completely possible that they're the ones sent to take care of us."

I growled, shaking my head. "No! There's no way that Kakashi and Daken would agree to kill me! I'm their friend!"

"Three years can change a person. And they may just believe that you are responsible for killing the Hokage."

"But I wouldn't-"

"They don't know that." Saden ended my argument with a look. "They are trying to kill us. We can't talk to them, or be near them in any way. It's too dangerous."

I snarled, close to tears. It wasn't fair!

Saden, seeing the look on my face, reached out a hand. "Kari, I know you don't like it. But I'm trying to protect you. Please understand that."

I nodded sullenly. "I know. I don't like it, but I understand."

Saden exhaled in relief. "Good. Now, let's get moving, shall we?"

"... Sure."

======

It has been two days since we entered the Land of Wind's desert. It may have been super hot and humid during the day, but at night that changed. At night, the desert was freezing, and dry. We'd been forced to cuddle with our dragons, and with each other to preserve body heat.

We had also all but exhausted our food supplies. Thankfully, Telem and Zahra could hunt for some small desert creatures, but that was only so much.

Water was also a big problem. Since Saden had Fire chakra nature, and I had Spirit, neither of us were capable of creating water. Zahra also had fire abilities, and Telem had lightning. Neither of which helped. We were reduced to digging deep into the sand to find water.