Hypnotic Eyes (Finale)

~-~-~-~-~

Peg was decorating for the Christmas party, despite literally no one rsvp-ing and lying about having other plans. Kim and I put bells on the tree, and Peg makes an approving nod. I can tell she's a bit upset about the neighbors not wanting to come over this year, but there isn't much we could do now to change it. I place down my decorations and peek out the sliding door. Edward was outside, carving away at ice to make a sculpture. As the shaved ice falls, it makes snowflakes and covers a thin layer of the ground. This brings a smile to my face, and when I turn around I can see Kim dancing in the flakes. She stops, smiles at me, and holds out her hand.

I take it, and we spin in circles together, laughing like we did when we were kids. It felt like we were kids. I missed this. When Edward finishes his sculpture, he steps off the ladder and shakes the ice off his fingers, accidentally catching Kim's hand as we're spinning. It's of course, at this moment, where Jim is walking up to the house that he happens to see this accident, and makes a beeline for Edward. He shoves Edward. Hard.

"Get out of here, freak! GET THE HELL OUT!" He shoves Edward again, who leaves the yard right away. I want to go after Edward, but I take the moment to do something I've been waiting a while for.

"Fuck off, Jim." I bring a fist into his groin before watching Edward turn the corner. As I run off, I can hear Kim telling Jim to never come back, and that she didn't love him anymore. I worried about her, but I worried about Edward, too. I run as fast as my body allows to catch up with him, watching him snip the head off of a dinosaur bush as he walks by it.

"Edward!" I cry.

"I'm calling the police!" I hear the woman cry from inside her house. I curse myself and look back at the house, Kim catches up with me, her hand wrapped.

"Christie!" She takes a deep breath, looking at me with tears in her eyes. "Christalien.. Mom.. mom thinks it's best if he goes back to the mansion... up on the hill. He's safer there." I bring my hands up to my eyes.

"God dammit." I slam my foot down, "GOD DAMMIT. I hate this town. This place sucks you in and holds you here until you drown."

"I-I... normally wouldn't say this, but... Maybe you should go with him, Christalien." Kim places her hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I ask, my first thoughts being that she must not want me here anymore.

".. You do love him, don't you?"

And then I get it. She doesn't want him to be alone, either. She doesn't want me to be alone. Because, despite everything that's happened between us and how much we have grown apart, the only thing we've ever hoped for each other is to do what makes us happy.

And he is what makes me happy.

We turn when we hear doors closing, and see Peg and Bill getting into the car. I grab Kim by her good hand and sneak through the neighbor's yard into the back door of the house, running downstairs to grab my backpack and shoving in all the clothes I can fit. When I'm back up the stairs, Kim is standing in front of Edward. They both look at me with wide eyes.

"Let's go." I whisper, but Edward shakes his head.

"I don't want to leave, Christalien."

"Edward, can't you see? This is what's best, the police are looking for you right now! There's nothing here for you anymore!" Kim cries, grabbing onto his arm.

"I .. can't go." He looks at me, begging for a better solution.

"I'll go with you." I step towards him, fixing my backpack straps. "I'll stay with you." I thought it would be enough to convince him. He's quiet.