Hypnotic Eyes (9)

I slept for hours the following week. Way more than any normal human being should sleep, but probably just the right amount for a girl whose been drinking her feelings. I got up when the sun was setting and made myself mac and cheese. I stood in the kitchen, spooning some into my mouth, avoiding puking and trying not to focus on my splitting head ache.

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the door flew open, Kim screaming for Peg and making my head pound more.

"Sweetheart! What's wrong?" Peg and Bill hurry into the living room to comfort a crying Kim.

"It's Edward! He's at the police station, we need to go get him!"

"The police station?! For what?"

"H-He.. I don't know, okay can we just go!?" I barely recognize that I dropped my bowl on the floor when I start running. My keys are in my hand and I'm out the door before I can even hear Peg calling my name. I throw myself into the front seat of my car and drive as fast as I can to the police station, not a single thought running through my brain. All I knew was I needed to be there.

"Miss! You need to check in!" I heard the clerk yell as I ran by her. I knew where people were detained. I bailed Kim out before. "Miss!"

He was sitting in a chair, Officer Allen still questioning him.

"Christalien? This isn't a great time."

"I'm here to get him out." I pull four hundred dollars out of my wallet and hand it to him. I cashed that check almost immediately.

"Uh.. There's some paperwork we need to file bef--"

"SO GO GET IT." I snap and the man stands up, bustling off to get said papers. I look back at Edward, who looks down at the floor. He was dressed peculiar. He wore an all black track suit, and a black ball cap on his head. "What happened?" I asked. He didn't answer. He was guilty of something. I grab the file from the table in front of him and read through it.

"You... broke into Jim's house?" I raise an eyebrow. "Were you gonna beat up Jim?" Edward shakes his head slowly and I sigh and sit across from him. I lean on my elbow and stare at Edward for a minute. "Was this Jim's idea?"

And then he looks up at me, with those stupid hypnotizing eyes, slightly brimmed with tears. And I know.

"Did you know what you were getting into?"

"...Yes." I let out a heavy sigh. I didn't want to ask this.

"Did you do it for Kim?"

"...yes." This time it comes out as a whisper. And as if on cue, Kim, Peg, and Bill walk in. I rise from my chair and point a finger to the door, looking straight at Kim.

"Get out."

"What? But I-"

"No, I know exactly what you did. GET. OUT." Kim's eyes widen, and she hurries back out the door.

"Christalien! That's no way to talk to your best fri-"

"Peg. I do NOT want to be chastised right now. I gave the officer the bail money. I'm filling out the paperwork. There's no reason for you to be here right now."

"Actually, there is." Bill puts his fists on his hips. "We're responsible for the both of you, and how you're acting and speaking right now is absolutely unacceptable!"

"You can yell at me all you want, but don't you dare blame Edward for something Kim and Jim caused."

"Excuse me?"

"Pretty sure you heard me."

"Here's that paperwork." The officer says as he comes back in. "Oh! Hey Peg, hey Bill. I brought in the psychologist for a little analysis. Christalien here footed the bail, so no worries for you."