Hypnotic Eyes (7)

The following days were awkward. I'm not exactly the kind of person who likes to choke down their feelings, and more often than not I'm impulsive in my decisions. Yet there hasn't been a single thing I haven't thought through a million times since I realized how I really felt about Edward.

We spent the day out with some of the stay at home wives, getting Edward's scissor's sharpened and finding some nice gels to style his hair with for tomorrow, when he'll appear on a tv talk show. We were walking back from Barbara's house, and I clutched tight onto my shoulder bag, my knuckles turning white with the temptation to spin to my side and touch him. Anywhere. I didn't care. I just wanted him.

"I can't believe this." My eyes dart over as I see Kim standing in front of the door to the house. "Do either of you have a key?" She asks when she sees us. Edward starts walking over, an eager kick in his step. He reaches down and uses a scissor to pick the lock on the door. "Oh. Wow, thanks." I knew the feeling in my gut when it started. Disgust. Anger. Jealousy.

"Wow, you didn't break it or scratch it or anything. Hey, be a pal and yell when Peg pulls in, okay?" Jim scoops Kim up and hustles inside, Edward watching as they disappear into the house.

More disgust. More jealousy.

He turns his head to look at me, innocent brown eyes shining.

"Coming?" He asks, and I take a deep breath before crossing the street and stepping into the house. The faint giggles of Kim can be heard down the hall, but I choose to just disappear to the basement, leaving Edward in the living room. I open up the mini fridge behind the bar and pour some scotch into a glass, sliding down to sit behind the counter and blindly taking sips. I'd give anything to make my brain stop thinking and my heart to stop feeling.

I cannot compete with Kim. Edward couldn't have Kim in the first place, because Kim was too stuck dating her abusive asshole boyfriend, but the fact that he wanted her was enough to make me see red. Kim and I used to be similar, but in more recent days we were polar opposites, and as far as looks go? Kim has always had that advantage. I've gone 18 years without having a real deal date, just petty middle school week long "boyfriends" that never went anywhere and never felt a thing about. Kim's been the apple of everyone's eye since birth, and if the two boys who seem to be strung up on everything she does isn't enough proof, take a look and peg's bookshelves and see Kim's entire life story. She was everyone's heart. She was even part of mine, which I guess is another reason all these feelings were nothing but trouble.

"Christalien?" Edward's voice comes from above, and as my head moves to look up at the boy peering over the bar, I recognize that I'm crying. Pretty hard, in fact. He moves off the bar and comes behind it to sit beside me. "Are you alright?" I shake my head, and the frown on his lips hurts my heart even more. But I don't feel like talking about this.

I push myself up for a moment, crawling on to Edward's lap. I lay my head on his shoulder, letting my eyes water onto his leather shirt. I lift his arm up and place it around me, careful to avoid his hands. I feel his cheek lean on top of my head at this point, and for just a moment, it feels like he could be mine.

But I wouldn't let myself be fooled.

~-~-~-~-~

I helped him bathe and washed and styled his hair the next day. He left with Peg pretty early, and by noon, Kim, Jim, Kevin and I were all sitting in front of the TV watching the broadcast.

Some of the questions Edward got asked were pretty ignorant, all about whether or not he feels like he's got a disability or feels crippled, whether or not he wants corrective surgery, to which I was surprised when he answered that he'd much rather be normal. But there were some pretty genuine questions, like what his favorite part of moving to town was.