Hypnotic Eyes (6)

~~~~~

When I got up, Edward wasn't in bed. I vaguely remember Peg coming downstairs to fetch him, but I remember nothing after that. I must have fallen back asleep. My body begs me to stay in bed, but the sunlight shining through the windows is enough for me to push myself up out of bed and trudge upstairs to shower.

Whilst I shower, I can actually hear a bit of commotion coming from outside, no doubt the nosy neighbors back for more adoration over Edward. It was annoying, not just because he was beautiful and I couldn't deny it, but because he was just another trend to them. The next shiny thing comes into the neighborhood, and they'll forget all about him. This is what happens when women don't go to work for a living, they sit on their asses and gossip about everything. Poor Edward doesn't even recognize what's happening. I feel like I'm the only one who's actually trying to teach him something deeper than the shit in this boring town.

"Chris, I really need to shower!" Kim's impatient voice comes from outside the bathroom door and I sigh and shut off the shower, feeling refreshed and awake.

"Alright, gimme a sec to dry off." I respond, pulling a towel over my body. I find myself staring in the mirror.

I was trying to show Edward more, right? I wasn't just another fascinated housewife. But... maybe I was just fascinated.

No. He's so important. He's... I'm not sure what he is.

But, he is enough to make me stay, just a little longer.

"Sorry I took so long, all yours." I give Kim a small smile as I pass her on my way downstairs. I sit on the fold out couch and retrieve my hair brush from the night stand, pulling it through my brown locks and pondering on what I can do to knock away this guilt. I hear the door at the top of the stairs open as I finish brushing my hair.

Edward stops as he sees me. I offer a small smile.

"Hi. What are you doing today?" I ask.

"I just gave all the women in the neighborhood haircuts. And their dogs." I give a small nod.

"That's a lot of work."

"Not really." He sits beside me on the bed.

"What are you doing today?" He asks me this time.

"Uhm. Nothing, really." I take a deep breath. "I have a few more days before the life insurance people can let me claim inheritance, seeing as I'm not 18 yet."

"What's inheritance?" I look over at Edward. Did he have parents? He said he had a dad, but I remember Peg saying she found him all alone.

"Uh.. well. When my parents started working, they started putting money away towards life insurance, which would help cover medical expenses or funeral expenses and such. So. When they died, that money goes to whoever is listed on their will or the next of kin.. which. Both are me, so." I stare down at my bare feet.

"I'm sorry." Edward says after a brief moment of silence.

"Oh, no. It's not your fault. Drunk driving happens. People are irresponsible." I chew the inside of my lip. "I'm going to be hung up on it for a while, but. It doesn't mean that I'm ever going to stop being the person they raised me to be."

"You're a wonderful person."

I'm stunned by this a bit at first. probably because I had just been questioning all my motives, but when I recover a rather large smile creeps onto my face. I retrieve some of my clothes and strip from the towel I was in, throwing on some comfortable pj pants and a tye-dye tee.

"It's supposed to rain today, would you maybe want to watch a movie with me?" I ask, pulling my hair to the side and throwing it into a braid. Edward nods, and I wonder if he even knows what a movie is.