Chapter 42 (Yassin & Niha)

Start from the beginning

She exited, jogging to the car park. There were probably a hundred missed calls on there...She neared the row where her car was and her smile vanished.
The windows were smashed.
The glass littered the ground and fell on the seats and she felt her heart clench in anger and sadness. They weren't millionaires, and this car was so special! How dare someone ruin it like this? There wasn't even anything inside it! She groaned inwardly thinking about how much this would cost to repair. Suddenly she felt footsteps and for some reason she crouched down, behind a silver Volvo, peering out. Perhaps this was whoever had done it! She was going to take a picture of him and send it to the police-

The Volvo exploded.

No, that was an overstatement, the windows of the Volvo exploded and glass sprinkled down on her. Luckily due to her hijab she couldn't feel anything but she still almost screamed had it not been for Yassin who suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

His arm found it's way around her waist, as if he knew exactly where she began and where she ended. He pulled her close and ducked her head as bits of glass showered over their heads. She had no time to register the shock of being that close to a male because the next minute he was practically carrying her to the bike shed where, he quickly bolted the door shut. She whimpered next to him, quaking from head to foot.
What was going on?
Was that...a gun in his hand?

"Niha" he whispered, keeping his voice down, "Niha, look at me"

She tilted her chin up and his eyes softened at her scared expression. She bet looked like she was trying really hard not to cry but in reality she was trying very hard not to scream. The adrenalin was too much for her.

"Trust me" he said gently, coming to eye level with her.

That would be slightly hard considering he had a killing device in his hand right now. He followed her gaze and looked back at her, "I have a license" he explained, "My dad made sure we all got one". She relaxed slightly. Everything was in order. Nothing to be worried about Niha.

"Look, I need you to listen carefully" He waited until she nodded, "I'm going to go out there and...and see what I can do"

"No! Don't go!" She actually gripped his jacket, her eyes wide. She didn't know why but he felt a lot safer to be around in this crazy situation than anyone else.

"Trust me it's going to be okay. There's lots of people coming this way soon Niha, someone has to do something"

"You don't need to! I bet someone called the cops by now anyway. Please don't Yassin-"

"Niha please" he replied gently but firmly, "just trust me"

She watched as he opened the door a fraction and slipped out, gun in hand, looking as good as though he were about to advertise for it. She ran up to the metal grated window and watched him disappear, watched two men follow in pursuit. They were really tall and foreboding, and did not look like your average street thug. They looked more professional and more evil. Perhaps they were part of the mafia. Luckily no one had returned from the game yet and Niha wished she had a way of warning them not to come this way. These people didn't look like they cared too much about who they pulled the trigger on.

For a few minutes she could hear and see nothing of Yassin or the men. Nor had she, thank Allah, heard a shot being fired. She did however, notice the man who was leaning against her battered Ford, seeming to wait for something.
He wasn't as tall but he was thin, and his black jacket made his shoulders stick out more. A hood was pulled over his hair and black cloth covered his face to the bridge of his nose, only piercing green eyes visible. He did not seem to be aware of her presence, but as though if feeling the intensity of her gaze he turned and she ducked down, trying not to swear.

Please don't have seen anything...
She didn't dare to look back up well until ten minutes had passed. Swallowing she slowly raised her head a crack above the window line, looking out into the park. There he was, his body angled away from her, but his head turned. Those piercing green eyes locked with hers and for a moment they both stared at each other. She quailed as he began to stride forward his arm reaching into his jacket...
"Not there"
Yassin came out from somewhere that was not in her line of sight and she felt a surge of relief. His hair was disheveled and his cheeks flushed but he looked victorious. He held up his gun so the guy could see it, "silencer".
Niha shivered. Had Yassin...killed them?
"Get out of the way" the guy hissed, motioning with his own sleek silver gun. She had to admit he was terrifying, and something about him just seemed off. If Yassin shared the same thoughts she didn't know, as his back was to her.
Yassin said nothing to him, just watched, his hand clenched on his revolver. She watched in deadly fascination as the guy cocked his gun and advanced forward, not even cautious of the fact that he could just as easily be shot. Yassin waited until he was close and then lunged forward unexpectedly, grabbing the gun arm and yanking it behind him and knocking the device out. The guy responded in kind by punching Yassin's jaw which made him release him and pummel him in the chest. Yassin fell back but his feet hooked onto the ankles of the other and suddenly he was on the floor too. The guys rolled over, each trying to get the best of the other. Soon their fists were bloody.
Niha winced as Yassin pushed the other guy back and got to his feet, his hands shaking slightly. He doubled over and coughed, spitting out blood. The guy was kneeling down too, but then he got up abruptly as though he hadn't even felt the pain, extracting a long knife.
"Yassin!" Niha screamed just as the knife made it down. Yassin had twisted, so it didn't go through his back. Instead it pierced his arm and he roared in anger and pain, falling to his knees. Before the guy could do anything else the wail of a police siren filled the air and police cars began filing into the car park. Cursing, the guy threw down his blade and took off, vanishing into the trees which fenced the school.

Niha flung open the door of her haven and hurried toward a moaning Yassin. He was sweating badly but she could tell those were tears streaming from his eyes.
"Oh Yassin" she whispered, taking a look at his mangled arm. Shakily ripping away his sleeve she tried to take a better look at it. Her father was the head surgeon at New Forest's local hospital, and she knew one or two things about wounds.
Except this one looked well beyond repair from her and would need surgery.
"C-come on" she said shakily, taking his phone which had fallen out of his pocket, "L-lets get y-you cleaned up- you'll be fine Yassin I- I swear"
Her fingers flew along the keyboard and soon the rings were going through.
"Assalamualakium Niha, I'm on my way beta"
"B-baba you need to get here quick"