Chapter Thirty Eight: Diamonds and Dust

Start from the beginning

An amplifier! Of course, I thought, She increases an ability. I was told that, when I lived with Morwena. Oh, shoot-- if Morwena doesn't kill me over Val's ageing spell, she will definitely finish me off for losing her.

I nodded. 'You saved my life. Thank you.'

'I should have done it sooner. I didn't realise how difficult it was for you.'

Our conversation was interrupted by reaching the gate. Guards scanned our eyes as we walked past, but we followed the shuffling crowd, avoiding their gaze. Better to appear meek than a target.

We passed through safely, and I stared at the beautiful, crowded street of the Diamond City.

White, pearl walls. Paved streets. Silver road signs. Blue slate on the roofs. Bay windows and sweeping balconies. Hanging flower baskets. 

Sakura grabbed my arm. 'Remember what I said, let's find somewhere to stay for the night. Before everywhere fills up. I'll go look, stay here, close to the guards. Nobody will cause trouble here.'

I nodded, but distantly. The girl dashed off, leaving me holding two horses and gaping at my surroundings. I doubted anyone in this perfect city could cause trouble. What would be the point? They surely had everything in their fancy houses.

I didn't spot the cloaked figure, lurking in the shadows, watching me. 

I was still gawking when Sakura came back, panting after jogging, around twenty minutes later. 

'Sorry-- for the wait,' she huffed, taking gulps of air. I blinked at her, unaware of the time that had passed.

'It's so interesting to stand here!' I said. 'I could watch people all day, it's fascinating...'

Sakura gave me a glare. 'I don't want to stand here all day. Come, I got a room for us.'

Taking her horse, she swung her leg up and I followed suit, shakily. My thighs were aching from riding, and I was sure I would have blisters. Wincing, I let Sakura take the lead, the clopping of the horses making people on foot move out of the way.

Now and again, a chaise car would come past; a small carriage, carried by four runners. Sakura leaned over to me, and said, 'Those are for the nobles. They're small, so they're convenient when carriages wouldn't fit well in the narrow streets.  And of course, nobles can't walk, not when the streets are so filthy.The Diamond City looks beautiful now, but it's been thoroughly cleaned for the occasion...by the poor, of course.'

Suddenly, I felt ashamed at allowing the glamour of the capital to sway my view. For a moment, I had seen a pretty picture and thought all was well. 

It was much faster to get to the inn on horse than it was for Sakura walking, and she said she'd tried a few that were full before finding this small one. Sat behind the main streets, actually overlooked the wall on the outskirts of the city, covered in vines and wallflowers. The building itself was beautiful, like all other buildings here; it was very open, with a spacious veranda and neat, perfect flowers in the pots beside the door. Inside was even smarter; shining marble floors and a simple but elegant bar, with a man waiting behind it.

Sakura had obviously already explained to the man, since he recognised her and called a young girl to take our horses, tethered outside, to the stables. Then he led Sakura and I to our room, a small but light space with two single beds and a sink to wash in. Our window overlooked the small square outside, another display of marble and mosaic, and a water feature. 

'So much money...' I whispered after the man had left us. Sakura agreed, preoccupied with setting her bags down upon her bed and throwing mine across to me.