EPILOGUE.

Alex was pacing back and forth in the waiting room.

Somehow, for this one occasion, he felt uneasy. He could usually pride himself in his collectiveness under pressure; however, pressure wasn't the problem this time. And he certainly didn't feel collected.

The big doors swung open.

"Mister Warren?" the receptionist's head appeared promptly as she called from behind the big doors. "Master Dee requests for your presence now."

"Thank you, Marie," Alex said, nodding in acknowledgement at the young woman. Marie nodded back and disappeared back into the big doors. Alex straightened himself up, tidied his clothes, and tried to walk towards the doors as confidently as he could.

He waited on the doorway.

"Intrude," he heard John's voice.

He walked in and found himself at the blue carpet that led up straight to the throne on the far end of the room. Of all the intimidating things that Alex could find so far in the Philosopher's Manor, nothing was as intimidating as the blue carpet and the throne.

That carpet had seen a lot of things.

The throne had seen more.

The person sitting on the throne had seen all of them.

"Hello, Alex," John Dee said with a brilliant smile. "Come in, come in. I was expecting you."

Alex nodded and walked towards the throne, trying to keep the levels of confidence and humility in his display in as perfect a balance as possible. He couldn't afford to look like he was lacking self-esteem; that would offend John Dee and hurt the Alchemists' pride. But he also couldn't afford to look too confident; lack of humility could also press John Dee's buttons. The last thing he wanted to do was offend John Dee.

Nobody offends John Dee. Nobody. At least, nobody was around long enough to actually deliver any second offense.

Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. He stopped at the sixteenth step, exactly seven steps away from the throne. He then bowed.

"Master Dee," he said. "I am here to report to you about Alden Jackson's catalyst, as you requested."

"Very good," John replied. "But I first need to know if you have followed my instructions exactly, Alex. Is there any written record of the report?"

"No, Sir," Alex said. John nodded.

"Elaborate."

"There was, when I was trying to figure out what had possibly gone wrong and calculate the possibilities, but I have destroyed them all as soon as your word got in that you require me to have no written records of the report, Sir."

"Good," John said. "Now...the report."

Alex nodded. "Alden Jackson, clanless, came to the Warrens' at roughly two-o-four p.m. this afternoon with his Wicce company Cora Maguire, who was under orders from the leader of the Covens to watch over him, and Emma Warren, who signaled to me that Mr. Jackson was recommended by Master Dee to try the catalyst. We then proceeded with introductions, upon which Mr. Jackson explained to me his conditions. He explained that Master Dee had simply told him to find Emma Warren and tell her that he had been asked by Master Dee to try the catalyst. Lie detector spell found complete honesty on Mr. Jackson's side. I then proceeded with the standard procedure: asking for the level amount requirement for the magic stability, which Mr. Jackson answered by thirteen, then activating the security sequence, and leading Mr. Jackson – who was at the moment under the influence of the security spell – to the Golden Compass.