Chapter 12

I'm nervous as I walk into the next room with Bobbie by my side. Though, her presence slightly comforts me, it's not enough to wash all my worries away.

On my other side is Nixon who takes the motive to twine our fingers together. I'm in no way complaining, his presence makes all the nerves go away.

I don't know what to expect at this oath thing and I think that's what scares me the most. All my life I've known what to expect, what I've wanted to do and now everything is messed up. Here I am about to walk into a room with a group of people that are my friends and are in the mafia. To this second it stills stuns me thinking about what they do. Drugs, killing, and enemies. It all seems to surreal to be happening.

The room we walk into isn't anything like I expected it to be. There's tan marble flooring covering the entire room and there are a row of six chairs lined up in front of a table with a white marble bowl sitting on top. The walls are covered in dry wall and a nice brown color. Weird...

"Jacey," Hunter grumble in acknowledgment to my attendance. Jerk. "Let's get started."

"Are you sure we have to do this, I mean let's just read her the oath and have her swear to it," Bobbie looks anxious, twisting her fingers together.

"No, it's tradition. Stop being such a nuisance, Bobbie," Hunter glares at her and goes to stand behind the table. "You may sit."

Everybody takes a seat on one of the chairs in front of the table, waiting for whatever comes next.

"Today we will be performing the traditional," he stares at Bobbie. "Oath coronation."

Coronation?

"We will pass around the blade and will each slice a small cut into the center of our palm where we will then join hands and all become one. The Mafia family. After we join hands and let our blood mix with each other's the mafia blood will symbolize that your are now connected to it. Break the oath of the Mafia and you will punished by death."

Death? He has to be joking right? The look in his eyes tells me other wise. I'm starting to get a feeling in my stomach, a feeling that I now wish I didn't find out. I don't want to be connected to any Mafia's.

Hunter takes the blade first and scrapes it across the center of his palm where blood starts to pool in the center. Next is Jayden, then Sheldon, Sean and Bobbie. Nixon goes before me and I cringe when he slices his hand. Crimson colored blood pools at the center and I feel like throwing up. Plus, what if I get a disease. I really shouldn't be thinking about this right now.

"You'll be okay," Nixon whispers in my ear as he hands me the small blade with red coloring on the once stainless steel. I gulp nervously and look at him. He nods his head at me and I grip the knife better in my hand before shakily bringing it up to my palm. Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes and feel the slight sting as the blade enters my skin and it's gone.

I open my eyes and feel even more queasy looking at my blood in my hand.

"We will now join hands to seal the connection," Hunter preaches and grabs Jayden's hand, and me being on the other side, he grabs mine.

This may not be the time to think about the way Hunters hand feels in mine, but I can't help it. It's like a perfect fit, the way his hand cups mine is incredible. A spark feels to have been sent through our joined hands and I look up at him, to my surprise he's already looking down at me. When he catches that I've seen him he looks back up and clears his throat.

"Jacey DeGrasa, you will be forever tied to the Mafia. The blood is running through your veins. You will be sworn to secrecy or shall the devil have your soul. You will promise to keep the secret of our family and everything that comes with it, you will be loyal and faithful to us. And in return we will provide you with protection. Now, Jacey DeGrasa, do you swear to keep the secret of the Mafia?" Hunter asks and looks at me. His green eyes are now a burning ember and I can't help, but get entranced by them. Then I realize that I'm supposed to be swearing to secrecy so I look away.