Chapter One

When I was little my mum used to tell me "Y/N running won't kill you you'll pass out first." I wasn't sure if she meant it literally or figuratively until I was fourteen years old. It all started when Jodie Wright decided she was going to break her leg the day before sports day and I had to fill in for her doing the 3000m run. I attempted everything to get out of doing it. I threw myself down the stairs when my mum was in the next room she simply laughed at awkwardness. Then I tried to runaway for the day that didn't work for 2 reasons. The first being I didn't have anywhere to go and the second being my mum takes me to school everyday. So I was forced to do the 3000m run. When my name was called up to get into the starting position I could feel my palms becoming sweaty, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I felt like I was going to pass out which is what happened after 400 metres. One minute I was running happy that I had taken first place and then next I was on my way down to the floor. I didn't die but it felt like I was going to. When I regained consciousness I was in the hospital my mum was crying being over dramatic saying she was scared I was going to die and so on. She had got this crazy idea that London (which is where we were living at the time) was cursed and if we stayed we were doomed for eternity so within a week of my embarrassing fall we were packing and getting ready to head to Miami where we would be permanently living and where I would start my new life.
I didn't have many friends back in London only the "library nerds" as we were called so I didn't have to worry about people crying about my going away. In all truthfulness I was glad people wouldn't be crying I wasn't a very sympathetic person. I hated it when people cried so I made myself 3 rules to follow
Rule number 1: don't care about things too much whether it be people, animals or simple "sentimental" items. Don't care you won't get hurt simple.
Rule number 2: expect little.
Rule number 3: screw the Terms & Conditions just accept.
Every unfortunate event that has happened in my life has stemmed from failure to follow one of the three rules.
I didn't say goodbye to my "friends" before getting on a plane and leaving for Miami I figured a simple Facebook message would be enough for them to deal with my going away.

Three years later here I am spending my Saturday night working in target to try and help my mum pay for rent, food and the car. I'd much rather spend my time sitting in my room with a bag of crisps (or chips as Americans call them) watching Netflix because like when I was in London I barely had any friends. But stocking shelves watching the drama that went on in target was nearly as entertaining.

"What the hell's your problem" A husky voice shouted. I turned my head as I was putting the baked beans on the shelf looking to see the drama that was about to happen. The girl who I'm guessing shouted was approaching the aisle I was in. She was wearing a crop top covered by a leather jacket and blacked ripped jeans she looked badass. I almost felt sorry for the person who was about to get an earful from the rather attractive badass girl. The girl came to an abrupt stop right next to me.

"Hi can I help you with anything" I asked the girl knowing I had to be as nice to customers as possible.

"Yes actually you can I want you to tell me why you think it's okay to bully my little sister" the girls said pushing my shoulder making me stumble backwards slightly.

"Excuse me" I replied confused.

"Don't give me that bullshit" she was intimidating her green eyes were piercing she looked like she genuinely wanted to kill me. I was bewildered I had never bullied anyone due to rule number 1: don't care about things too much.

"I'm not really, uh, I mean I'm not, like, I'm not sure what you're talking about" I stuttered not knowing what to say. I felt so little under her stare.

"Don't fu-" she started but was cut off by a smaller girl tugging her away.

"Lauren it's not her" she said to the girl who's name I guess is Lauren.

"Oh, I um, I'm sorry" she said looking down. I nodded relived that the girl had finally stopped glaring and shouting at me. The two girls made their way back out of the store I stood there still confused as to what just happened in the last 5 minutes.

"Y/N we need you on the tills" and so I went trying to mind my own business waiting for my shift to end which was in exactly 1 hour and 23 minutes but who's counting right?

The following day I had woken up, got ready for work at 10 and made my way downstairs hoping mum was either out already or still sleeping. It's not that I dislike my mum because she's my mum I just hated the small talk that she tried to create every morning and at dinner. I poured myself some Rice Krispies and sat down opposite my mum who was staring at her cup of coffee.

"How was work last night?" Here we go.

"Okay"

"Anything exciting happen?" Apart from the crazy ass girl coming in shouting at me

"Nope" and that was usually as far as our conversations went everyday.

"Clara from work invited us round for dinner tonight" I nodded not knowing who Clara was and honestly not caring. "So be home before 5"

"It's not like I have anywhere to go" I replied sarcastically. I know I shouldn't be like this but it just happens naturally. Perhaps I get it from my dickhead dad who I haven't actually met. Mum hates it when I talk bad about him I'm not sure why though because he did nothing but hurt her. Once he found out my mum was pregnant with me he decided he wasn't ready to be a father. He packed his bags whilst my mum was at work and left her to raise me on her own. I give her credit it's not easy raising a child like me on her own but she's done a pretty good job of it so far.

"Have you been taking your medication" she sighed.

"Yup" I responded popping the P. Like a lot of teenagers one in five to be precise suffer from depression like me. I didn't like many people to know my 'friends' didn't know about me suffering from depression the only people that did was my mum and my doctor obviously.

I made my way to work to start my 6 hour shift at target it was a typical Sunday greeting customers, stocking shelves, working the tills, cleaning up spillages, alerting security for people trying to shoplift etc. I was working the tills when a familiar voice caught my attention.

"Do you even know what they like" the husky voice from yesterday spoke. They all stopped speaking and my eyes locked with the green ones that threatened me yesterday. I decided to try and make a joke. I ducked behind the till when I popped my head up they all looked at me with questionable looks on their faces.

"Please don't shout at me" I begged causing the green eyed girl to laugh I stood up and started scanning their items. Every now and then I'd find myself admiring her beauty. She doesn't look as intimidating today as she did yesterday. Perhaps it was because yesterday she had fiery red lipstick and her eyeliner was done so professionally that it made her eyes look more terrifying. Today she had settled with light make up although she still looked incredibly beautiful she didn't look as scary.

"Look if they don't like what I'm cooking we'll just order pizza" the older woman who I'm guessing was the green eyed girl who's name I recall as Lauren is her mum.

"Why did you invite them anyway you don't even talk to them" Lauren replied.

"Because I'm being nice and they've been through a lot"

"Been through a lot?" I was trying not to be nosey but it was impossible when they were talking so loud right in front of you.

"Yeah her daughter is going through some stuff and she thinks it's because her dad left before she was born" the older woman said to Lauren. I finished scanning and packing all the items once they had paid Lauren and I shared a look before they made their way out of the shop.

After that my day had dragged on and on and when I finally got home mum was wearing a dress making me raise my eyebrow.

"Um mum what are you wearing?" I questioned.

"A dress were going out to dinner tonight remember"

"I get that but do you really need to dress so I dunno formal?" Mum just rolled her eyes before putting in her earrings.

"Go get changed we need to leave soon"

{A/N brand new story this is just gonna be a Lauren/ you fic because I don't really like writing love triangles they always leave someone heartbroken anyway vote, comment whatever till next time}