Desire/Javier

Desire looked out of her upstairs bedroom window in a daze. Her eyes watery, thoughts were scrambled like a plate of eggs. Amir was screaming crying his eyes out. She carried him downstairs, put him to sleep on the couch and managed to finish cooking dinner without burning it. Leaving Amir on the couch she went back upstairs and into her stash of already rolled blunts.

As she took one out, she noticed a familiar car across the street. OMG, how long has he been there? She put more makeup on her face in a calculated beautiful rush and went outside on the front steps with her blunt. She sat down, and as soon as she did, Javier walked over to her.

"Are you crazy?" she asked him.

"Are you? What is wrong with your face? He did that to you?" He asked grabbing her chin.

"Javier, listen you don't even know me like that. And how did you know where I live?" she asked taking his hand down, but not pushing him away.

"I don't have to know you like that to not like this shit!" he said getting loud voicing his concern towards her. "You need to get your stuff and come with me."

"I can't, I don't even know you!"

"What do you mean you can't?" He asked her shaking his head. "Do you have money on you?" he asked her.

"No." she said as she took a pull of her blunt.

"Here, take this."

"Javier, this is too much money. Four hundred dollars really?"

"Listen, you have a choice, take that money and go somewhere, go to a relatives house, call a cab, I'll give you a ride. But if you stay here I'm calling the cops."

"No, you can't Javier!" she cried to him.

"Then what are you going to do, because I heard you and your baby both in here screaming! What kind of sense does that make Desire?"

"Javier, it would be one thing if you were an ex, but you're just some random guy who showed up, and-"

"No and," he said. "I'm the random mutha fucka that cares about you and don't want to see you leave in an ambulance. You need to get out of here ma. I care, that's it."

"Ok, I'll leave. But I don't want you to take me."

"Ok, thank you. Escuhame, he comes home acting crazy and you still here, if he mentions this you tell him I was asking you for directions. Plain and simple."

"Ok."

"Take my number. You don't have to save it, just call me later. I just want to know you're safe."

"Javier." she pulled his arm before he walked away. "Why are you doing this?"

"I see what he doesn't, and I see what you don't, because you're beautiful. I saw a woman who should've been smiling and she wasn't. Desire, use that number and call me."

"I will, you better go."

"I'll be around, trust me. I'll be watching."

"Thank you."

"Mami, no woman deserves that. Your name is Desire, I know you want more."

I always have, and I always will she thought to herself. God angels must really exist, and he is handsome...the hell with his looks, I'm glad he was looking out for me. At least somebody is. Am I really going to leave...fuck it, I am.

Desire got up and went in the house and ate her food. She fixed a plate for Javan'te and left it in the microwave. She ran upstairs and got two big duffle bags and stuffed them with everything she could fit inside. She went back downstairs and called a cab.

When the cab came, she put the bags inside, went back in, grabbed Amir and locked the door. She felt like by her leaving she was putting her life in danger. But she would be in more danger if she stayed in that house.

What would he do next? She wasn't willing to find out. Javier had come out of no where to be her saving grace.