Chapter 43

Billie Joe sat in his cold room of the therapeutic unit wearing his papery hospital gown. His skin crawled at the itchiness.

For some unknown reason, he woke up extra early this morning. It was nice to see the bright sun creeping up over the horizon while the birds chirped away happily. It made him smile.

Billie didn't call the nurse in when he woke up like he was supposed to. She would've brought him breakfast and asked him how his day was, but Billie wanted to be alone for the morning. Silence was his friend.

Finding the beautiful seconds of dawn so intriguing, Billie Joe decided to draw it. He had done a lot of drawing in his stay in the psychiatric hospital, most of which he gave to Mike. Mike was always happy to see that Billie was doing something other than sleeping or laying around in a dark room.

Billie wasn't the best artist, but how hard could it be to draw sunrise? By throwing in some orange and yellow, and occasionally some pink, Billie Joe had finished his masterpiece. He decided to keep this one for himself.

He rose from the bed with the lighthearted drawing held tightly in his hands. The picture was tapped on the wall in seconds. Billie smiled.

Suddenly, but not surprisingly, someone grabbed Billie Joe's hand. He turned his head slightly to see no other than Fink. Fink's green eyes burned through Billie's. His presence was warm, and his devil tail swayed.

"Hello, Billie Joe."

Billie nodded, but didn't speak a word. He was having a good morning so far, and he didn't want Fink to ruin it for him.

Without another word from himself or Billie, Fink led them over to Billie Joe's bed. He sat Billie down like a child while he stood over him like an adult. Billie Joe waited patiently for Fink to speak while he nervously posed with the hem of his gown.

"Nice morning, huh?" Fink grinned. He was up to something.

Billie Joe looked away. He never knew what to expect from Fink. He could be here to hurt him, or even teach him a valuable lesson. There was no in between for Fink.

"I'm came here to tell you that you need to talk more. You haven't talked to anyone but Mike for the past two weeks. The nurses are starting to get worried," Fink pressured.

Billie shrugged. He tried to make it seem like he was t worried, but he definitely was. Having the nurses worry about him was the last thing he needed.

"You know what happens when them nurses worry about the patient. It means longer stays in the hospital. It means more therapy sessions. It means a harder recovery. You don't want that now do you, Billie boy?"

Billie Joe shook his head. He looked up at Fink like a lost dog. His hands continued to mess with his gown.

"Don't be scared to speak your mind. If something is bothering you, them nurses and therapists are here to help you. They don't think you're crazy, they're just trying to help you," Fink said genuinely. He spoke softly in order to get Billie to fully understand his point.

"I will," Billie assured Fink. He didn't know whether that was a lie or not.

Fink put his hands on Billie Joe's shoulders and shook him slightly.

"Good," he said deeply.

Billie nodded.

A soft knock unexpectedly came from the door. Billie Joe snapped his head over to look at the large door. Fink disappeared before he could say bye. He didn't mind. Fink never said bye anyway.

A small nurse, one Billie hasn't seen before, poked her head around the door and smiled with her bright teeth. Her red lipstick was smudged on her tooth. Billie Joe decided not to tell her.