Chapter 16

Mike, after what seemed to be years, pulled away from Billie Joe and let his body rest against the wall behind him once again.

The whole time that Mike held Billie close, Billie didn't hug back. But Mike didn't care. It didn't matter. The only thing that mattered to him was Billie.

Mike held Billie Joe's chin with a gentle hand while he examined his injuries. There were cuts all along his right cheek that continued to his brow. One his eyes was bruised and swollen while showing a purple tent to it. His chin was split open and covered in dry blood. Mike noticed blood seeping from his lips. He had no doubt that the bleeding was coming from inside his mouth.

"Open your mouth buddy," Mike asked just above a whisper.

Billie Joe did as he was told and slightly parted his lips. He very slowly opened his jaw just wide enough that Mike could see inside. A gasp escaped Mike's lips after he comprehended what he saw.

Billie's teeth were severely chipped and bleeding. His inner lip looked to be cut on the sharp corners of Billie Joe's teeth.

"Oh my god Billie," Mike said while covering his mouth with his hand.

Billie Joe looked confused at Mike's horror. He lightly ran his tongue over his shattered teeth only making him wince in pain.

"Oh, don't do that Bill. It's fine, you're going to be okay," Mike assured, but quite frankly, Mike didn't know. Mike didn't know if Billie was going to be okay.

Mike quickly thought of what exactly he should do. He knew that Billie Joe was to be turned in to the police if he was found, but he couldn't do that to his life long friend. The authorities obviously didn't know that Billie had a mental problem causing him to do what he did. Mike wondered if he could somehow let the authorities know that he should be put into a psychiatric hospital rather than prison.

He looked into Billie's hopeful eyes but couldn't find any emotion. Billie Joe was completely unreadable. He didn't know whether he was in pain, or if he was numb. The anxiety seemed to have faded.

"Look, I really shouldn't be doing this. I'm supposed to turn you into the police...but I can't do that. I have to bring you home with me and figure s-something out, okay?" Mike asked.

Billie's gaze seemed to be lost in something nonexistent. Mike was beginning to worry that he was losing Billie Joe again. He harshly grabbed his shoulders and shook him slightly.

"Billie Joe. I need you to cooperate buddy. I need to get you safe, okay?" Mike asked staring into Billie's lost eyes.

Billie merely nodded.

"Good," Mike finished, and stood to his feet.

Mike began walking down the way he came from the entrance. His feet kicked dirt up behind him. It wasn't until he was halfway down the alley that he realized that Billie wasn't behind him.

He quickly turned around on his heel to see the frail Billie Joe slumped onto the wall behind him, just like he left him.

Mike ran back to Billie in an instant. Once in front of the small hopeless man, he crouched down to his level and took his hands in his. Billie Joe's hands were scarily cold in Mike's. Mike planted a kiss on his chilling knuckles causing Billie to lazily drop his head down to meet Mike's eyes.

"Are you okay?"

Billie used all his efforts to shake his head no.

"Can you walk?" Mike asked hopeful that Billie Joe would snap out of his pained state and rise to his feet.

On the contrary to Mike's wishes, Billie shook his head no.

Mike felt his stomach drop. He let his head fall. Mike looked through blurry tears at the dirty ground trying to hide his fear. He was scared.

Mike didn't know why Billie Joe couldn't walk. He prayed that it wasn't because his legs were broken. He prayed that nothing was wrong at all.

Without asking another question, Mike decided to scoop Billie up in his arms. He wasn't looking forward to carrying him all the way back home, but he had to do it for Billie Joe.

Mike put one arm under Billie's neck and one under his knees. The gasp that escaped Mike's lips was impossible to hide. Mike knew right then and there, why Billie couldn't walk. Mike unmistakably touched a wet patch in between Billie Joe's legs. He knew right away that it was blood.

"Billie Joe, did you get-"

Mike stopped himself. He didn't want to ask Billie such a question right after he had a panic attack. It was pretty obvious to Mike that Billie Joe was raped.

He fully rose to his feet while cradling Billie in his arms. Mike couldn't stop the tears that started to leak from his eyes. He was devastated. How could he let such a thing happen to Billie?

Mike was able to hold back the tears as that sat on the rim of his eyes threatening to spill over onto his cheeks for a couple of feet. He stomped his way out of the alleyway more shocked than confused.

The streetlights spilled over Billie Joe's dark hair. It glistened just as his sweaty face had in the moonlight. Billie's arms were wrapped around Mike's neck. His eyes were locked on his raw wrists that were pressed against Mike's skin. Billie Joe felt bad that he was resting the cold metal of his cuffs against Mike. He wished Fink was there to comfort him.

Mike was silent, finally getting rid of the tears in his eyes. That was until Billie Joe spoke unexpectedly.

"I'm insane aren't I?"

Mike finally let out a small whimper as he felt the lump in his throat get bigger. The tone of Billie's voice was as if he had lost the fight. Lost the fight for his sanity.

The tears ran down Mike's face before the could catch them with a few sniffles. He felt ashamed that he was crying in front of Billie Joe, especially with the amount of pain he was in. He felt selfish.

Billie looked up at Mike. He slowly blinked and just watched Mike for a while. Mike tried not to look back. He didn't want Billie seeing him like this.

It seemed to have taken all of Billie Joe's strength to reach his hand up and gently caress Mike's cheek. His hand rested there until Mike looked down at Billie. Billie wiped his salty tears from his cheeks.

"Don't cry Mikey. Don't feel sorry for me," Billie Joe whispered still resting his hand on Mike's face.

Mike sniffed.

"Pity doesn't do much for the world."