Chapter 26

Billie Joe instinctively jumped when he heard someone at the door. Soon his worries subsided as he realize it was only his best friend Mike. He was glad that he was back on time.

Mike, after many failed attempts, unlocked the door and stepped into his familiar home. He sighed, feeling worn out from the last few days. Mike was glad to see that Billie sat on the couch in the living room, also known as "his spot."

Billie poked his head around the side of the couch to see Mike standing in the doorway. Mike greeted Billie Joe with a warm smile.

"Hey ho Billie Joe," Mike cheered.

Billie chose not to respond, but did return Mike's friendly smile. He couldn't resist smiling whenever he was around Mike.

Mike came around the side of the couch and stretched his back on the walk over. A million cracking sounds came from Mike causing Billie Joe to curl his toes. He hated when Mike did that.

"What have you been doing Bill?" Mike said as he plopped himself down on the space next to Billie. He made Billie Joe's hair messy by quickly running his hands through it. Billie pouted.

"I...I talked to Joey and Jakob today. They called after you left," Billie answered. He played with his sweatshirt sleeve while he told Mike this.

"Bill, that's great! How did they do it without Adrienne knowing?" Mike asked, sitting up a little. He laid his arm behind Billie Joe's head.

"I'm not sure. They were talking quietly though, so they probably did it while she wasn't in the room," Billie spoke, thinking back to just twenty minutes ago.

Mike turned his gaze to the corner of the room and nodded.

"So what'd you guys talk about?"

"Nothing really. They were just telling me how they missed me and asked when I could see them again," Billie shrugged.

He decided not to mention that Joey told him about the calls Mike had been having with Adrienne. He didn't want to start anything.

"The norm."

"I guess," Billie Joe grinned.

Mike returned the smile. He was glad to see that Billie was more consistently in a happy mood ever since he talked to him about Fink. The talk that he'd had with Billie Joe the night he woke up with a nightmare had scared him. He didn't want anything to happen to his best friend.

"I was gonna ask if you wanted to come outside and share a cigarette?" Mike asked.

"No thanks. I kinda just wanna go to bed," Billie Joe lied, playing with his sweatshirt sleeve again.

He didn't want to go outside and end up in a deep conversation with Mike. Billie knew that what Joey had told him on the phone would probably come up, and he wasn't in the mood for that kind of talk.

"Come on," Mike teased. He grabbed Billie Joe shoulders and pulled him into his arms for a bear hug.

"No, I'm just going to call it a day," Billie said, resting his head against Mike's chest. He listened for his heart beat.

"Are you sure?"

Billie held the hug that Mike provided, but lifted his head up just enough for him to look into Mike's eyes.

"Positive," Billie Joe smiled. He chose to just go along with the game that Mike was playing. He felt hurt and a little betrayed that Mike would talk to Adrienne about getting him help in private. Billie felt like he was being back doored by his best friend, but he knew it was probably for his own good.

Mike hesitated, knowing that Billie was lying about being tired, but eventually gave in. He flashed a quick smile before he spoke.

"Well at least let me carry you to bed," Mike laughed. He didn't give Billie Joe anytime to react before he scooped him off the couch.

Billie giggled at Mike's playfulness. He wrapped his arms around Mike's neck while he stomped up the stairs. Mike smiled at Billie Joe's laughter, concluding it as another sign that he was getting better.

Mike laid Billie down on the bed gently. He tucked the covers over Billie Joe as he curled into a ball, his usual position to sleep in. Billie sighed as Mike brushed his hair off his forehead.

"You do realize it's only nine o'clock right?" Mike asked, laughing at Billie Joe's attempts to convince him he was tired.

"I know, I'm just tired."

"What are you tried of?" Mike wondered aloud.

Billie sighed. He was considering telling Mike that he was tired of running, tired of hiding, tired of waiting around for nothing. But he decided against it. He had to admit that he was feeling better recently, and he could tell that Mike thought so too. So he didn't want to ruin that reputation that he had made. Instead, he covered up his hesitation with a joke.

"Tired of being awake with you," Billie Joe grinned. He dug himself further into the blankets laughing a little.

"You little bitch," Mike chuckled.

Billie Joe smiled and shrugged. He loved to tease Mike just as much as Mike liked to tease him.

"Oh, before I forget..." Mike suddenly spoke.

He reached into his pocket and felt around for the small bottle. Eventually he found it and pulled it out, causing the tiny pills to bounce around the plastic bottle. Billie immediately knew what it was.

"I wanted to give you your anxiety medication. Take whenever you need it, but don't take it more than instructed," Mike warned, sounding like Adrienne.

Billie smiled and took the bottle from Mike's hands. He was glad to have the medicine, but he didn't like the fact that he needed it. The last thing he wanted was to have Mike worry about him more.

"Thank you, Mike."

"You're welcome Bill," Mike said. He patted Billie Joe's knee and started to get up from the bed. That was until Billie Joe grabbed his wrist.

"Wait! C-Can you sleep with me tonight?" Billie stuttered.

"Why? Is something wrong?" Mike asked, knitted his eyebrows together. He was confused at Billie's want for him to stay in the same room tonight.

Billie Joe hesitated. He couldn't possibly tell Mike that he wanted him to sleep with him because he knew he would be in a mental institution soon and being together would be highly unlikely. He wanted to spend as much time with Mike as he could...while he could.

Billie looked down at the sheets and started playing with them. He pouted a bit just to make it more believable.

"Nothing's wrong. I just wanted you to stay with me tonight. But if you don't want to-"

"I'll stay with you Billie Joe," Mike smiled. He cut his friend off before he had to awkwardly explain why he wanted them together tonight.

Billie grinned.

Mike climbed into bed with Billie Joe and got under the covers. Billie moved over to Mike and cuddled his body against Mike's. Mike brought a hand up and started playing with Billie Joe's hair. Billie was thankful for this, but felt the need to frown. It reminded him of when Adie would do it to him at night. He knew that being in a psychiatric hospital would mean that he wouldn't be able to spend time with Mike and Adrienne. This upset him greatly, but he held it together. He didn't want Mike to worry.

As they laid there silently in the dark guest room, Billie Joe couldn't help but selfishly think of what was going to happen next.