Chapter 9: Denny's, defence, and differences (part 1)

"Really? Than, if you didn't follow me here and it isn't a coincidence than what is it?"

It went silent for a second, but Bellamy had already come up with a perfect response.

"Fate."

"Fate?" Clarke raised an eyebrow. "You're kidding, right?" She asked, sounding a bit rude.

"What else would it be?" Bellamy paused for a moment. "Clarke, it can't just be a coincidence that-"

"No. It's not that I don't believe in fate, I do. It's just, you don't really seem like the kind of person to believe in it."

Bellamy smiled slightly. "I am unpredictable."

Clarke looked down at the floor, not knowing what else to say. Part of her was still mad at Bellamy, and yet another part was mad at herself for mistreating Bellamy.

"Bellamy,-"

"Shhh." Bellamy hushed her. "You can't call me that in public." He yell-whispered, even though there was hardly anyone around them.

Clarke nodded, showing that she understood.

"Uh. Go ahead and continue."

Clarke resumed her thoughts, and started talking once again. "I want to apologize for the way I treated you. I had no right to speak to you the way I did, and I don't even know the full story so I shouldn't be judging you."

Bellamy smiled, accepting the apology. "Princess, can-" Bellamy corrected himself, not wanting to sound desperate, needy, or clingy. "Do you want to maybe consider going somewhere, anywhere with me?"

All of a sudden, Clarke's kind look changed to a dark, and angry expression. "Are you insane?" Clarke stood up, and was about to walk away when Bellamy stopped her.

Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I forgave him. He didn't even apologize to me!

"Is this how you handle all your problem?" Bellamy added. "By running away from them."

Clarke scowled at him. "You don't seem to have a problem with the method."

"But, we're not talking about me, we're talking about you." Bellamy said, rather angrily.

Bellamy hated the she tried to turn the runaway issue back around on him. It wasn't fair.

"Maybe I didn't want to talk about me," Clarke told him, raising her voice as she continued. "Just like how you don't want to talk about yourself!"

Bellamy didn't have a response, so he remained silent.

Soon, Clarke fell silent, realizing her yelling was irrelevant.

"You don't understand what happened to me, what my life is like. I don't like to talk about myself, my life, because it's something you shouldn't want to hear." Bellamy told her, his voice low.

Clarke sighed, feeling terrible after what he said, but there was no way she could just take back her words.

"I never should've asked you to come with me." Bellamy shook his head. "I should go, this was a mistake."

Bellamy brushed past Clarke, but she grabbed his arm stopping him. Obviously, Clarke wasn't strong enough to hold him back, he choice to remain where he was.

"Wait."

He looked down at Clarke, as she still didn't release her grip on his forearm.

"If I go with you - I'm not saying I will - but, if I do...can you promise me something?" Clarke still didn't let go of Bellamy's arm, wanting to assure that he wouldn't walk away.

Bellamy raised an eyebrow, not bothering to say 'What?'.

"Promise me, no 'self defense'." Clarke remembered how Bellamy's reference to fighting cops was 'self defense'

"I promise, Clarke." Bellamy said, and then Clarke let go of his arm, and picked up her bag.

"Lead the way."