t h i r t y - n i n e

almost to the end of the book omg
-
Jack J ;

   After being escorted out of the restaurant with a bill (a big bill for food and damages) we went back to Isobel and Vanessa's apartment to talk.

   When we got there, they spilled their whole story to Shawn, and he didn't speak once. I would be that way, too, if I were him.

   I mean, Isobel lied to Shawn, and I pretty sure he liked her. Which made Shawn even more disappointed and silent.

   "I can't believe this," Shawn muttered, "I had a crush on a mental patient."

   "It wasn't my fault," Isobel said.

   She looked like she was going to cry. Maybe I shouldn't have caused a ruckus. Maybe I should've talked to her after. Now Shawn and Isobel had a disconnected relationship.

   "You lied about your names, too," Shawn continued, "I should've known."

   Isobel didn't say anything. She lifted her bag over her head, and flung it on the couch. I was just standing helplessly watching.

   I tried getting through to him, "Shawn...it was Gilinskys fault, and I know she-"

   "I don't care!" Shawn shouted.

   Isobel and Vanessa jumped, and my eyes widened. I've never seen Shawn this way before. He was always the nice guy, who offered compliments, and suggestions, and quotes to help brighten up your day.

   "You can leave now Jack, you too Shawn."

   Isobel left the room slowly, as if she needed to leave so she couldn't show her tears. Vanessa didn't look like she cared really. She had broken one of her stilettos. Now she carried them like her own baby.

   Shawn left as fast as he could, and I followed him to his apartment next door. I slammed the door behind me.

   "Shawn, she didn't mean to lie."

   He turned around, "she still did it!"

   "For a good reason!" I shouted back.

   "Yeah, I'd like to hear it!"

   "Who wants to admit they are a mental patient, Shawn?" I yelled.

   He stopped to stare at me, and I knew I won this one. I know I wouldn't want to admit something like "I'm a mental patient, let's be friends," and by Shawn's face, I knew he wouldn't either.

   He sat down on a bright red island stool, and sighed. He should be mad, and maybe I should be, too. I couldn't find myself to be mad though, not even an ounce.

   "I just feel disappointed," Shawn admitted, "I don't know her at all.

   "I would be, too, but this sounds like a situation where someone can be forgiven," I said, referring to Isobel.

   "Maybe..." Shawn muttered.

   I left the apartment seconds later, and drove back to mine. I didn't feel like telling Jack anything, because he would just ramble about how he knew Isobel was truly crazy.

   He did try and find her, and so did I. We called airports, and train stations, and car rental places. Slowly, we gave up, and Jack never talked about her again; he started worrying more and more about Madison and their baby.

   I never forgot though.

   Even when I wanted to, I never forgot about Isobel Dixon

• • •

published: july 31, 2015 - 9:07pm
edited: june 14, 2017 - 8:51am

an: this book is almost over, who wants a sequel??

I got my school supplies today, omg, I start on August third, what day do you start school? ❤️