Chapter Nine: She's Gone

The first thing I noticed was probably the fact that my mind was completely blank. I don't even know what brought me here, but then, several undefined and unfamiliar voiced filled my ears.

"She was hit by a car around eight PM." A male voice exclaimed, waking me up from my slumber. "She was hit badly though. As you can see, she landed on her right side of her head—which made her ear have a bit of problems, but we managed to fix them in time. Her brain though. . ." He took a deep breath. "When she wakes up, there's a slight chance she'll has Retrograde Amnesia."

A cry that came out of a woman echoed around the place. I tried opening my eyes, but a force was stopping me. I let out a sigh in defeat, why can't I open them? It's like I was stuck in the phase where I tried to sleep every night –the one where you close your eyes, hoping that you're going to fall asleep and forget about problems for a while.

Did I sleep, though? Did I used to have problems? I don't know, really.

"Please Doctor! Help my baby! I beg you!" A female voice cried, earning soothing whispers from another person that was currently in the room as well.

"We are trying our best, Mrs. Park." The 'Doctor', as I assumed, reassured this woman. "Uh, there's something else. You should never force her into remembering memories. She will be unable to recall events that occurred before the development of the amnesia itself."

He took a deep breath, "Furthermore, Episodic memory is more affected than semantic memory. She will remember words and general knowledge such as colors and other things. Her procedural memories which are memories of skills, habits and all shall not be affected as well."

"Will . . . she ever remember events? Her name, her family and friends?" Another male voice asked, tiredly. What were they talking about? What are they even saying? There's a slight voice in my head that's chanting that they are talking about me—I mean, they are in the same room, now aren't they? But then, I push that voice aside. I don't have this weird memory lost.

Then why can't I remember a thing. I tried remembering the basic things, maybe my name. As I concentrated, hoping that I would remember anything, a sudden force hit me in my forehead, making me knot my eyebrows together in pain.

Maybe I should stop remembering.

"Well, as time passes, she may remember. You see, amnesia is such an unpredictable disorder. It can take her seconds, to minutes, to hours, maybe months and years to remember. But I can happily assure you that Retrograde Amnesia is temporary. Meaning that she will after a period of time remember everything but events nearest in time to the event that caused the memory loss may never be recovered."

At the last words that were spoken, my eyes opened. I was hit by a force of heavy white illumination, which made me blink a couple of times in order to get used to the lightness in the place. My eyes wandered around the room, it was nothing but white. A big window was placed to my right behind a counter that was full of flowers and 'Get Well Soon' cards.

My eyes drifted to my hands that fell on my sides as I lied on the bed. I knew where I was, my brain seemed to scream the word 'Hospital' as soon as I saw how dull and weird this room was. Please, don't forget the special smell that this place held as well.

My hands were wrapped in grey wires. I lifted them up to inspect them more closely to notice that I had a few cuts and bruises there. A sound of continuous 'beep' made me a bit dizzy, so I ended up turning to the left to come into conclusion that this sound was coming from the heart monitor.

I watched how every line twisted forming a wave that was accompanied with the beeping sound. I didn't even care about how my right shoulder ached; I was mesmerized with how the line had the power to decide if the person is alive or not.