End Game - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

            “Let’s go Hannah!” screamed my best friend and cousin Rayanne. I was trying to tear myself away from the mirror, but I just couldn’t. What I saw, staring back at me was someone I don’t think I could ever get used to. Two years ago, the girl I was in the mirror could eat the girl I am now. Losing half your body seems like a dream come true, but trust me it can be confusing as hell. So here I go to my first college party as the new me. I was scared shitless.                           

            “I’m coming bitch!” I yelled back. Those are our terms of endearment to each other. Weird, I know, but us. I have known Rayanne since birth. My mom and her mom are sisters and ten years apart, so when my mom got pregnant with me at twenty-five years old it kind of shocked everybody that her fifteen-year-old sister was also. Therefore, we grew up side by side and did everything together, but it doesn’t mean we don’t hate each other some of the time. We are as close as real sisters, and tonight I am torturing myself with a party because I love her.

            The college party scene isn’t really what I am into. I guess I don’t know if I really am, because this is my first one. I never went to parties in high school. Even though Rayanne was a party girl, she knew I was not comfortable about it all. I was a bookworm, and at least one hundred pounds overweight, so that was fun. 

            I came down the stairs to see Rayanne already doing shots in my new kitchen. She was the coolest chick I knew, and absolutely didn’t care what anyone thought about her. She had the cutest, blonde pixie haircut that, on anyone else may look bad, but on her it rocked! She was a short thing, like me, but recently started finding joy in tattoos and had a beautiful cherry blossom tree starting to take up her left shoulder. It was awesome, and I sometimes wish I had the balls to do it, but I was scared shitless of the needles and pain. We had just moved into my first apartment, and I was officially away from home. My sad, pathetic mother, and all her drama, was over one hundred miles away in Illinois, while I am starting my sophomore year of college in Michigan.

             My mother, Anne Finley, told me straight out that I would never be going away to any school. She told me that, as the little fucking mistake that took all her dreams away, it was only fair that she took mine. Consequently, I did my first year of school at the junior college, fifteen minutes from my house, that I paid with jobs at Dairy Queen and after school tutoring. I was so tired of letting the fear of her take control of me. I lived with that my whole life until I realized it was she or I…and I finally chose me. I had to beg and plead with my Aunt DeDe to help me with school until I turned twenty-one, which is when get full access to the trust fund my grandparents left me after they died, four years ago. She, of course, had no problem helping me. To say my grandparents had money would be an understatement. My trust fund alone was worth over three million dollars, and Rayanne had the same exact amount in hers. Growing up with money is why my mother never had to actually work a day in her sad, pathetic life.

             “How can you do that and not throw up all over the place?” I questioned Rayanne.

            “Because I have years of experience lightweight,” she said back to me. Lightweight was her new favorite nickname for me. When she came home for the summer, before I moved here, she got me drunk and I don’t even think it took one whole beer to do that. Rayanne went to college last year when I stayed home. Her mom, also my aunt, is a much better mother than mine, which surprises a lot of people considering she was fifteen when she had her. Whenever I really needed help, Aunt DeDe was there for me. She is the reason I finally left home. She is also the reason I was able to finally lose all my extra baggage, which came in the form of fat. I was definitely an emotional eater.