Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Kellen

It had been about a week since G's death and we just got back from his funeral. The funeral went as expected. There wasn't a dry eye in the building the entire ceremony. I even shed a few tears for my nigga. The house wasn't the same without him. I don't think I'd ever get used to the feeling of him being gone. He was like the only father I'd ever had, and just as soon as God sent him to me, he took him away. That's the part that hurt the most. I finally felt like I had a man to look up to and he was gone in the blink of an eye. I'ma miss him forreal man.

I decided it was best if we all moved back into G's house, because I knew Mama Bee would be lonely, and it'd be easier for me to keep an eye on everyone this way. So I amped up the security and moved in Caya and CJ as well. With Smoke still being loose I didn't want to risk him running up on Caya and CJ when they least expected it.

With all these folks living under one roof, you'd think there would be a lot of commotion going on, but the house was unusually quiet. Mama Bee fired the butler, and started taking on his job. She woke up every morning and fixed breakfast, she read the morning paper and hummed to herself. Sometimes I'd find her vacuuming the living room, and of course she'd be humming while doing so. She said that taking care of the house made her feel closer to G. She said it reminded her of when they first met; she'd always take care of the house while he was in the streets so he'd come home to a nice hot meal and a clean house.

Ivy on the other hand was a completely different person. I honestly can't even remember the last time I touched my baby, and it was truly killing me on the inside. She locked herself away in her room and only came out to eat. She didn't speak to anyone, and she didn't allow me to sleep with her anymore. I didn't want to push her into anything, but I was ready to have the old Ivy back. I missed her sassy attitude; her stuck up ways, and her smart mouth. And tonight I planned on getting her back. I wasn't taking no for an answer.

Since G left, I took it upon myself to start running things for him. I knew I was the closest thing he had to a son, so I figured I was next to take over his business. I didn't know exactly where to start, so I just went into his room and started rummaging through his things. I opened the second drawer in his mahogany desk, and sitting on the top was a manila folder labeled Kellen.

I immediately pulled it out of the drawer and opened it. Inside was a long hand-written letter.

Kellen,

Son, if you're reading this then I know the worst has happened. I hate it had to end this way, and I hate it had to end so soon. Don't cry for me, son because hopefully I am in a better place. I want you to step up and be the man that I know you can be. I didn't give you this job just because I felt sorry for you, son. I gave you this job, because I knew you could handle it. When I first looked at you that day in front of the QuickStop, I saw myself. I saw a young man who had so much potential and ambition, but life got in the way. Don't blame yourself for what happened to you because in life shit happens. It isn't always easy, but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. I gave you a way out because you deserved it, and because I felt deep in my heart you were capable of taming my babygirl. A father wants nothing but the best for his daughter, and that my son is you. All I've ever wanted was for Ivy to find a man that loves her almost as much as I do, a man that will protect her as if his life depended on it, a man that would worship the ground she walks on, but also not let her walk all over him. A father knows that man when he sees him, and I saw that in you. Take care of my babygirl while I'm gone, Kellen. Take care of Monica, too. I know she's hurting, but she's a strong woman so I know she'll be alright.

Enclosed in this letter is $500,000, and the deed to my house out in Sacramento. Take my babygirl and get out of here. There ain't nothing left for y'all in Houston.