Chapter 43 - Reformation

Rena heard the djinn's voice long before he was in range to hear hers. 

"You've lost, humans! The reclamation, though incomplete, has succeeded in the most crucial aspect! Leristith and the heartland is now ours, and upon the next thinning of veils, I shall commune with the portal and complete the reclamation!" 

As he spoke, the groups grew more distinct. Though there were some that hung off to the sides, there were enough Unbounds still standing with the djinn to outnumber the Order's remaining people four to one. Two figures held the Unbounds back--Cayden and Allegra. 

"There's been enough killing today, Qariinn!" said Allegra as Rena neared them. She stopped a few metres out to have Allegra's head turn towards her. "Rena, tell him! This is over!" 

"What's going on?" asked Rena, though she had a fairly good idea. The question helped her ignore the way every set of eyes had swivelled in her direction. 

"Ah, Emberheart," said the djinn, that false smile back on his face. "I presume--"

"My name is Rena," she said. "Not Emberheart, not anything--Rena, understand?" 

Unlike in the past, the djinn hesitated. 

"...Rena, then," he said. "My apologies. I presume the spectre has been taken care of?" 

Rena drew in a breath, her eyes finding the ground. "The spectre is with the ley once again."

"I had suspected he was too far gone to be saved," said the djinn. Rena wanted to punch him, an urge she didn't feel often. "May his spirit find rest." 

Rena wasn't about to let him change the subject. "What happened here while I was dealing with the spectre? Why are you facing off against each other instead of helping the people who need it?"

"He still wants to exile the humans from Leristith," muttered Allegra. "Execute the defil--ley guards, too." 

The djinn's eyes snapped towards her. "Those that need help are receiving it, the healers are with them." His gaze returned to Rena's, that smug smile back on his lips. "And as for Leristith, indeed. I wish to remove the humans from Mythic territory, and the defilers must pay for their actions. Though I failed to commune with the other portals through their heart, the time will come again. But for now, Leristith is ours!" 

His final words drew a triumphant shout from the Unbounds around him. The djinn raised his arms, revelling in their praise, their shouts of victory. 

"Absolutely not," said Rena, folding her arms. 

The djinn raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?" 

"You heard me," she said. Heat rose to her cheeks, but she stood her ground. "It's not happening. You are not executing anyone, and you are not displacing thousands of people because your warped idea of justice demands it." 

"And I suppose you think you'll be the one to stop me?" said the djinn, sounding mildly amused. 

"If I have to," said Rena. "Everything I've done, I've done because I had to. It should give you some indication of how dedicated I am to ensuring the portals survive. I gave up my key. I bonded with a human to keep the phoenix alive. I turned feral. I died. Despite all that, I came back, saved your behinds from the chaotics, helped you all fix the portal, and then dealt with the spectre. You think I'm going to back down now?" 

It rolled off her tongue so easily that she  caught herself checking her facts. Had she done all that? The Rena of a few months ago would have laughed at it. Her? In a position to actually change things? It hadn't seemed possible. Her greatest purpose a few months ago had been following what she thought was an Unbound succubus for something to do. Now she thought about it, she wondered if the succubus had even existed in the first place, or if she'd been following her own accidental trail of destruction.