[ten] forgiveness on both ends

final chapter! ahh <3 there will be no epilogue so read a/n at the end to know why! thank you guys for sticking with me throughout ellie and archie's story. i present to you a very lengthy last chapter, ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy!

p.s. the picture to the side is a sunrise i managed to capture one morning on my way to school. it'll make sense when you read the chapter ;)

* * *

Life offers no "do-overs" but does allow us the capacity to "get-over" the mistakes we've made and to forgive ourselves and eachother.

* * *

1:00 pm

It was an uneventful morning as I sat on the couch next to Caroline, who was sulking while she waited for her dad to come pick her up. After two days of board games, role playing, and stories under the fort covers, our technology shut down weekend has finally reached its end. You could only go somewhat primitive for so long before you break and turn to this generation's means of entertainment and communication. We were watching episode after episode of a show on Cartoon Network as Luca became later by the minute. He and Kate were finally back in town and weren't wasting any time on collecting their daughter.

While we were focused solely on the TV, Archie, on the other hand, was immersed into all his devices. His prepared grand breakfast that resulted in very full stomachs was definitely his way of softening the fact that he had to disappear into his office all day and catch up on emails and phone calls. But it was okay. After all, he gained redemption during the last two days. No contact with his mother or anyone else was made after I received the call from Archie's mother. He never called her back, but I knew I was going to have to see my mother-in-law soon.

I sighed as I ran a hand across the couch. Now that I think about it, I could look at this closing weekend through the eyes of Caroline; it was a complete bummer. Disassembling the fort gave me the same feeling you get after the end of a vacation that was nothing short of blissful. It was our return to reality and reality didn't always contain pleasent moments. Our talks beneath the lights were in no way drama inducing, but filled with stories that made us laugh and smile instead. It's what made these two days feel like a dream you wouldn't mind having for a little while longer. With a kid and two adults who still had a bit of child in them, it wasn't hard for us to discover new forms of entertainment when under the rule of no technology.

I don't think Luca will be too thrilled with us ruining his daughter's sleeping schedule, though.

Sleep was something Archie and I did not get a lot of. When our little visitor dozed off, we were awake and taking advantage of as much of the day as possible. I didn't want to sleep. I didn't want to dream and forget what happened the moment I woke up. How I spend my time with Archie now, awake and conscious, would create memories that would last more than a night's dream.

With those ten months of distance and only a few weeks of having crossed it, I was still craving for time with him - time to do whatever we wished to do. It didn't matter if we spent that time just cuddled up under the fort for a little bit, since our couch was not available for use. It was the fact that he was there - really there - that made me fight to keep my eyes open so I could treasure that moment for as long as I could.

It took an hour more of episodes before Luca arrived. Caroline snapped out of her slump as she became excited by the thought of being reunited with her father again. Luca's unit was as close and tight as they could get.

"Go on ahead, Caroline. I'm going to get Archie, but look to make sure it's actually your dad, okay?" I picked up her weekend bag before walking over to Archie's office. It took a good thirty seconds before I was greeted by the joyous exchanges between daughter and father.