[eight] starting anew

welcome to chapter eight - we're almost to the end! dedicated to xInfinite_Fireheartx for the beautiful cover to the side. ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy xx

* * *

5:48 am

"Damn, I'm late!"

Archie's sudden morning cry was an alarming start to my morning. I pressed a hand against my thumping heart just as I saw him scramble out from under the covers, muttering profanities on his way to the bathroom. I was left to calm my breath.

The complete warmth of my body reminded me of yet another night spent in Archie's arms. I could vaguely feel his phantom touch on my skin and all over my body. Memories of yesterday traveled to the forefront of my mind, of sweet gestures and promises of starving over. The same hope that gradually formed as the day went on was back and it put a positive note to the start of the day. And with the skies still holding their dark color due to early hours, it truly was the start of a new day.

The clock hanging on the wall indicated that Archie still had a fair amount of time to get ready for work. I sat at the edge of the bed, no longer tired, and stroked the top of AJ's head as I waited for him to come back out. He came out in a matter of minutes.

"Guys always take quick showers, huh?"

Archie spared me a quick glance as he switched to the small walk-in closet, a towel hanging around his waist. "Usually. But if they're tight on time, you do what you do so that you don't stink when you go to work."

"It's only almost six. Don't you go to work at seven?" I asked him, reaching for my phone to make sure that I wasn't wrong and was just incapable of reading an analog clock.

"I changed my schedule," he answered with a look of annoyance when he realized that his buttons of his shirt was off. I couldn't help but smile at him rushing around.

"Wait." I cocked my head to the side, the smile slipping off my face. "What do you mean you changed your schedule?"

"Well, first of all, good morning," he begun. My heart spiked with his relaxed smile. He was coping pretty well for someone who was - apparently - late for work."Second of all, I made a lot of changes since you were gone. Haven't you noticed?" He nodded towards the body pillow laying across the small couch in the corner of the room. He told me last night that such a barrier was forbidden from our bed. I guess I wasn't the only one who realized that it was more than just a gigantic pillow.

"Sure you've done some renovations around the house, but why'd you change your schedule? You've kept the same hours for so long."

Archie slowed his pace and caught my gaze with an intent look. He reached for something in the closet before making his way towards me. "Yes, and look what all those extra hours did to our marriage." A dark tie was held out to me, his eyes searching mine expectantly. I took it and stood, feeling slightly breathless as he stood close and found my hips with his hands. "My hours have been shortened, Elle," he explained as I fell back into the routine of tying his tie for him. "Now I don't have to have dinner alone at one in the morning and you don't have to be left eating with AJ as your only companion. I can actually come home to you and spend a few hours with you. Awake."

I refused to look at him directly when I finished the task at hand. Everything that he's said and done in the time since I came home felt like a dream come true and I still felt like I was sleeping. How many times have I fantasized about the time where we finally started to work things out? And now that it was finally happening . . .

I smoothed the tie down and rested one hand above his steady heartbeat.

"You've really thought about this, haven't you?" I asked softly.