Chapter 16 "The Man I Never Knew"

-Addison-

Sitting at a table in the cafeteria dining room with my head down, I squeeze my eyes shut tight as I take my time force-feeding myself the lumpy, slimy food that smells of strong decay. Reuben is sitting next to me very closely while all other visitors and staff are walking around. I saw one visitor had a breathing stoma; he was carrying a tray of something and stopped halfway to a table; I wanted to look away, yet something just kept me on him. I watched him drop the tray, screaming at the top of his lungs, and he ripped the stoma out, then collapsed to the floor and slurped up the disgusting substance. I flinched, almost throwing up. Reuben held my wrist and shook his head, then looked down at my plate. I jerked away from him and stuffed more of the slop in my mouth. The only thing making it possible for me to bear it was the baby. I hated everything. I hated him, I hated this place, I was scared out of my mind, I was seeing shit I shouldn't see, but somewhere in my heart and the back of my mind, someone is actually there-someone is reaching their hand out to me; whoever this person is has had an effect on me for a long time now. I knew them--I know them. Could it be Gabriel...? Could Reuben have said all those things about him only to brainwash me? Could Gabriel be my salvation?

Now finished with the plate, I wipe my mouth and shakingly push it forward. The baby is calmer now. Good...

"What will I be giving birth to? What should I expect to see? I must know." I still don't look at him. Maybe I'm too angry and anxious.

He scoots closer, hanging his arms off his thighs, rubbing his hands together slowly, "It will look just like you and me. Only, it will not be defective like my other two subjects. The brain will be five times larger than any modern day human." Why is he telling me 'it will not be defective'?

"Is the world prepared for such a creature...?" I ask.

He nods at me, "Yes, it is. Now."

"Now?"

"Yes. Now. I created a being similar to this over a thousand years ago. Man hadn't evolved enough; my creation self-destructed out of fear of your race. You will give me this child, and I will raise him myself. Is that not fair?"

"I want to go home."

"You will. Don't worry." He stands up from the chair, offering a hand. "Back to your room now."

I ignore him and also get up. "Who is Gabriel really?"

"Back to him now, are we?" he looks sternly at me.

"Who is he?" I repeat.

"Well... He is my son's son; a human and vampire hybrid. He is a danger to you and the baby. That is all I will tell you."

"Vampire? ...Vampires are not real."

"They won't be after I'm through with them." He says in a mater-of-fact way.

As I think over his words, I feel prickling sensations in my neck; as if someone bit me and drained me. Echoic male laughter buzzes in my ears, hurting my head. I recognize that voice but I don't know who it is. This must be a memory...

Holding my head, I notice past his shoulder, someone with their back turned to me seems a little different than everyone else. Their behavior, clothing and skin are not the same as anyone else in any way. Nobody notices him but me. Reuben puts his hand on my back.

I jump away from him, "Don't fucking touch me!" I look at that person again. They turn around and I gasp to myself.

Jo! He's alive! He's back!

I make a run for him, "JO! JO WAIT!"

His eyes grow huge. He bolts for a door, slings it open and slams it shut.