7 ●○► THE SON OF THE MAYOR

CHAPTER SEVEN

●○► THE SON OF THE MAYOR

I glare at the football guys. Seven of them have finally taken their shirts off. Yum, my mind says. And I think my lips follow the word.

“Mary, wait,” says Janine. “It is only you who will invite one. Beth and I will stick with our boyfriends. We could have sex with them whenever we want to.”

“Oh,” I say automatically, “I forgot about you two. But maybe you can come with me.”

“Come with you?” asks Beth. She narrows her eyes at me, pulling her eyebrows together as if it was her first time to hear the words “come with me.”

I raise an eyebrow at Beth, sighing. “Come on, Beth,” I say. “No one’s going to invite if you tell them you’re with someone.”

“Mary has a point,” Janine agrees and her voice lowers down as she continues. “Besides, Beth, no one’s going to like you.”

“Really?” says Beth quickly.

“No. I’m just kidding.” Janine smirks but her eyes still seem to tease her. She glances into my eyes. “I’m coming with you.”

“Thanks.” I smile for a second.

Janine turns to Beth and purses her lips. “Aren’t you coming?” she asks. “We can just stand there and talk to no one.”

For a short moment, Beth takes a breath and sighs. “I don’t think I would. Gotta finish something in the house.”

“Oh, please, Beth.” Janine rolls her eyes tiredly. “What would you do in the house?”

“Chores?” Beth’s answer sounds like she isn’t sure of what she will do.

“Chores,” Janine repeated, raising one eyebrow at her. “All our chores are done. I guess you just don’t want to come with us. But I won’t let you go home without going first with us.”

Janine catches Beth’s arm with her hand, locking them very tightly it makes Beth groan in pain.

“Ow,” Beth mutters. “Get your hand off my arm.”

“Can’t do that, Beth,” says Janine, smirking at her.

Beth takes a deep breath. “Alright,” she sighs. “I’ll come.”

Janine slowly removes her hand from her arm. “Let’s hold hands, then.” Beth smiles for a second and offers her hand to Janine.

“There,” Janine says as their hands hold each other. “Get ready.”

Beth shoots Janine a nervous look. “Ready?” she demands.

“Oh.” Janine glances at me and stares into my eyes. She smiles sarcastically and takes a breath. “It’s Mary who should get ready.”

We begin our walk toward the football guys. I glance in the direction where Kevin and Jamela are sitting. They are more than forty feet away from us. Jamela’s head is resting on Kevin’s shoulder, talking to him while gesturing her hand in the empty air. Kevin just nods whenever Jamela stops, and he replies to her as well.

For a second I wish my head is resting on Kevin’s shoulder as well. I wish I’m Jamela, who can always kiss Kevin whenever I want. I wish I have a son with Kevin. I wish I will have more with him. But I am smacked into reality when we reach the football guys.

“Hi, guys,” Janine says, and I turn my head to look at the seven half-naked guys. My eyes widened at the bodies. And my heartbeat quickens as they all smile to us. “Can we join you?”