5 ●○► KEVIN'S GIRLFRIEND

CHAPTER FIVE

●○► KEVIN’S GIRLFRIEND

“Are you sure about this?” I hear Kevin say to his girlfriend. My back is still facing them. I feel numb. I don’t want to turn around and talk to her. Who cares? Besides, my feelings for Kevin is slowly disappearing.

“Yes,” his girlfriend says as if it is an order.

“Jamela,” murmurs Kevin. “Stop this.”

So that girl has a name too. Jamela, I think, and the name bounces around the inside of my head. I take a deep breath, balling my fist and closing my eyes. For a second, I can just feel someone’s palm that rests upon my right shoulder. My heart pounds inside my chest. And I open my eyes then look over my shoulder.

“Mary,” says Jamela, “did you ask my boyfriend to have sex with you?”

First, I am totally startled from what she said. Second, I feel nervous for what I will answer. And third, the last, I feel guilty for what I had asked Kevin.

“Uhm,” I say, thinking for my words carefully. There is a moment of pause in which I bestow the courage to come in to me. In my head, I am assuring myself that it will be alright—that Jamela will not react like it’s the end of her world. Calm down, I think. It’ll be okay.

“Did you?” asks Jamela again, as if she thinks I have forgotten her question. “What? Answer me, Mary.”

For the last time, I take a deep breath then turn around. I tell her, “Yes. I did.”

Jamela’s gray eyes open widely like an owl, her nostrils blare at me and her eyes stare at me with rage—though I am not sure if she is. I don’t know what I’m supposed to feel. Will I get more nervous? Guiltier? I think I already have.

Kevin walks beside his girlfriend and pulls her arm. “Jamela,” he says. “Let us go. Leave her alone.” Jamela nudges his hand, shaking her head at him.

“No,” she says.

“Jamela, I am so sorry about that. I didn’t mean to, and I don’t even know you’re together. Besides, Kevin”—I sigh by the mention of his name—“did not accept my offer.”

“But what if he did?”

“But he didn’t.”

She purses her lips. “What if?”

I have no reason to answer. I remain silent for the next few seconds. Jamela gives me a killer look as if she wants to kill me now. Then Kevin pulls her again.

“Let. Me. Go!” she urges, getting away from Kevin’s grip. “Please!”

“Enough of this, Jamela,” says Kevin. “You’re hurting her.”

“I. Don’t. Care!”

While Jamela tries to get away, I see Heather jogging toward us.

“Mary?” she says when she arrives. “What’s going on?”

“Heather, let’s go,” I say to Heather in horror. “We have to leave.”

“Better be,” Jamela agrees. “And stay away from my boyfriend or else.”

When we get home, Janine is there, sitting between the two girls, interrogating her about the sex she just had.

“How does it feel?” asks Kate.

“Oren’s delicious,” replies Janine. “He was good, and I am, too.”