Origin of Slenderman and Stories

Start from the beginning

TED: Ran... ran inside... got gun... Tracy crying... Judi screaming... r...ran to them... He had them... was holding them...

DAUTON: Who had them?

TED: Skinny fella... suite... Looking at me... Judi screaming... shoot me... SHOOOT ME SHOOT MEEEE!

"Tracy," the couple's six-year-old daughter, is never found. How a horror story becomes a legend

That vagueness - the infinite mutability, the fuzzy details, the ability to adapt Slender Man to just about any time and place - is a large part of what pushed the story off the
Something Awful forums and into the Internet mainstream. Slender Man gradually spread onto other niche forums, like 4chan's paranormal board. From there, it would inspire a popular horror Web series called Marble Hornets, several indie video games and an untold trove of submemes and fan art, as well as earn prominent pages on Wikipedia and Creepypasta , a site dedicated to Internet horror stories. Creepypasta is, according to the Milwaukee Journal

Sentinel, the place where the Wisconsin girls first read the story of Slender Man.

By 2011, the legend had become so deeply embedded in the Web - and so divorced from its blatantly fictional origins - that even its original creator, Victor Surge, couldn't believe how much it had spread.

"I didn't expect it to move beyond the SA forums," he said in an interview with the Web site Know Your Meme.

Later adding: An urban legend requires an audience ignorant of the origin of the legend. It needs unverifiable third and forth [sic]hand (or more) accounts to perpetuate the myth. On the Internet, anyone is privy to its origins as evidenced by the very public Something awful thread. But what is funny is that despite this, it still spread. Internet memes are finicky things and by making something at the right place and time it can swell into an 'Internet Urban Legend'.

That same year, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported an entire feature on

"the Internet-concocted creature... scaring today's teens silly." Only two years had passed since Surge invented Slender Man, and its origins, the Tribune ruled, were already "difficult to pinpoint."

The Internet is 'full of wicked things'

That obscurity is, of course,responsible in part for SlenderMan's scariness: It appears to eliminate the fourth wall entirely, making SlenderMan less a ghost story and more a plausible entity. The further the myth gets from its origins, the easier it is to sift out truth from fiction. "The Blair Witch Project" used some of the same techniques.

And yet the character's appeal goes far deeper than that, says Shira Chess, an assistant professor of mass media arts at the University of Georgia and a scholar of the Slender Man myth. In fact, Chess is unsurprised that people, including teenagers, frequently buy into the Slender Man myth - in short, we're hardwired to believe. "We tell ourselves stories because we(humans) are storytelling animals," she wrote in an e-mail. "And, to that end, horror stories take on a specificsignificance and importance because they function metaphorically - the horror stories that are the best are often metaphors for other issues that affect our lives on both cultural and personal levels." Slender Man, Chess says, is a metaphor for "helplessness, power differentials, and anonymous forces." He's an infinitely morphable stand-in for things we can neither understand nor-control, universal fears that can drive people to great lengths - even, it would appear, very scary, cold-blooded lengths.

For whatever reason, Slender Man does seem to have resonated particularly among teenagers; perhaps that's the demographic most susceptible to scary stories, or perhaps they're the people frequenting sites like Creepypasta most often.

(Creepypasta, for its part, released a released a statement early this morning expressing its condolences over the Wisconsin incident - and reminding critics that the site exists to share scary fiction stories, not to encourage any actual, real-life scares.) But the girls in Wisconsin, at least according to statements they made to police, truly statements they made to police, truly believed Slender Man was real: He teleported and read their minds, they claimed. He watched them and
threatened to kill their families.

"They hoped [their friend] would die," Ellen Gabler wrote in the Journal Sentinel, "and they would see Slender and know he existed." But Slender doesn't exist outside of the YouTube videos, wiki pages and horror forums that have grown up around him. Said Russell Jack Said Russell Jack , the police chief in , Waukesha, "the Internet can be full of Waukesha, "the Internet can be full of dark and wicked things."

Authors Note: Guys if you like this chapter please give it a 🌟 because it really helps me to have passion and inspiring moment to do this kind of stuffs. See y'all on the next chapter!
Peace...