I assumed he was talking about Chase. "Yeah, he did," I said while nodding.

They both nodded as well and we ate our cereal silently. It was that awkward silence where no one knows what to say next. Everyone is wondering what they should talk about, but no one wants to break the silence because in a way it's comforting. It leaves you to your own thoughts and you don't have to engage. Especially this early in the morning.

When it came time for us all to leave to go to school, there was no sign of Chase. We all got our things and waited by the door. "He has five minutes," Wesley said looking at the watch on his wrist.

As if on cue to answer all of our questions, Lydia walked downstairs and came over to all of us by the door. She shook her head. "He's not going to be able to go to school today," she said.

The guys nodded and started to walk out the door. How can they just walk out of this house and leave their brother upstairs like that? Lydia came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Ellie, go. He'll be fine." Her voice was soft and comforting, yet knowing. It was like she knew there was something between us. I sighed.

I got in the car with the guys and Ethan drove us all to school. It was a depressing morning. I didn't say much to Paige although I did act like a good friend and ask about her date the other day. "It was so incredible. Ethan brought me to the park and we had a picnic. It was like it came right out of a book or a movie or something. He pushed me on the swing and we climbed a tree and we sat on the branch watching the sunset. It was so romantic. And while we were in the tree, he kissed me," she beamed. Her rant slowly came to an end. Even though she was done talking about it, you could tell she would never stop thinking about it.

I was happy for her though. She was finally getting her dream guy. The guy she had been waiting all her life for I assumed. They were cute together and I was glad that he had finally asked her out. I can't even imagine what it would be like if she was still watching him from across the hallway as he shoved books into his locker.

"That's great Paige. Congratulations. I'm really happy that you two are working out," I said pulling her into a hug.

She pulled away though. "Well don't be too glad. He's been kind of distant the past couple of days. Even before the date."

"What do you mean distant?" I asked confused.

"He hasn't been himself. Even around me. When it's just the two of us, he seems jumpy and quiet." She looked up across the hall and found him talking to his friends. He had a smile on his face, but it seemed a bit forced.

It must have been something to do with Brandy, but why wouldn't Paige know about it. I mean this was a hard time for the Johnson's. The whole family was probably on edge. "All of the Johnson's are a bit jumpy right now, considering the time of year it is," I said trying to work around the topic.

"Oh, that's right," Paige said hitting her forehead with her palm. "Brandy. This weekend is the anniversary of her passing," she said respectfully. I nodded. "That family has been through a lot with her. I mean people around here are very sympathetic and everything, but sometimes that's not enough. I bet they just want to leave. Being around here with all the memories can make you go a little crazy," Paige said rambling.

Something was off though. It was like she was avoiding talking about what had actually happened to Brandy. Or she didn't know. "Paige, what happened to Brandy?" I asked already knowing the answer, but wondering what she had been told.

"The guys didn't tell you?" I shook my head. "Well, it's kind of complicated, but all people really know is that she killed herself. People around here don't really know why. She just did. She seemed fine to ordinary people like me who didn't really know her, but I'm sure Chase or Ethan know what really happened," she said looking back towards the two guys. "But I wouldn't ask them. Not now at least." I nodded.