Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

Forever, she agreed silently.

Twisting around, Josh embraced her before lifting her legs and carrying her to the bed. Laying her gently down he unzipped his jeans and shoved them down along with his underwear.

Without giving her any time to enjoy his nakedness, he positioned himself over her. His eyes and his hands roamed her torso, cautiously avoiding her wounds but working over every other millimeter of her flesh. He delighted in every shiver and response she gave him as he moved over her, descending lower and lower until finally he was at her jogging bottoms.

With a coy smile Nikki lifted her hips and allowed him to finish undressing her. She blushed and he chuckled.

"You're so sexy when you blush," he teased.

She bit her lip and lowered her gaze. He had already seen her naked but the intimate way he stared down at her was something she'd never experienced before.

"Nikki I ... " Josh took her cheek in his hand. "I ... "

She shook her head and swallowed. "Just tonight, remember? Let's just have tonight."

He glanced away at the floor, and sighed before returning his gaze to hers.

"You're perfect and despite what I might have said earlier, I don't regret a second. How could I when it brought us here?"

He didn't give her a chance to reply. Instead he met her mouth with his, kissing her tenderly. Nikki reciprocated his gentleness, neither of them feeling the need to rush as they opened up to one another. She took everything he gave her whilst pouring all her unspeakable emotions into her actions.

As they made love, Nikki allowed herself to stay in the moment, banishing any thoughts of what may happen. Instead she filled her mind with every touch and breath they shared during their perfect, forever, night.

* * *

Nikki awoke, sweat dripping down her back and the bed sheets wrapped tightly around her limbs. The horror from the images she'd endured whilst sleeping still crowded her buzzing mind. She'd been thrashing around wildly leaving the remnants of the bed linen in a state of disarray.

Reaching to the side for Josh, she froze, finding herself alone.

Oh God, has it started?

"Josh?" she screamed out in a blind panic as she clawed at the bedding, which had bound her legs together.

The bedroom and bathroom doors flung open and Josh and Ezekius both rushed in.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Josh rushed to her side and helped her untangle herself, his eyes raking the room to find the cause of her distress.

"Quick, wake every one up, get them downstairs now." She panted as she pushed him away and moved quickly to the window. Inching the curtains aside she peered out into the dark lake below her.

"Oh God! Ezekius?"

Obediently he crossed to her and held out his hand. She grasped his arm and dragged him to the window.

"What do you see?" she demanded the panic rising beyond controllable measures as her hands shook with adrenaline and terror.

In her head he showed her exactly what she was seeing - a dark, still, forest illuminated by the faint glow of the moon as it broke through the heavy clouds. Branches swaying gently as a small breeze toyed with the leaves.

It would have been soothing had it not been for the lake - or lack there of.

The body of water that once stood covering the sunken town had vanished and in the distance it was possible to see the rotted church spire jutting up in front of the shoreline trees.