Chapter Fourteen

They stood in silence. Watching. Waiting...

The heat began to build but instead of becoming uncomfortable, Nikki found herself welcoming the raised temperature in the strange room. The wet clothes that clung to her body had been making her shiver but as the air grew warmer the numbness in her limbs faded and her aching muscles began to relax.

The longer they waited the more accustomed to the gloom Nikki became. A little way in front of her Josh was poised, ready for whatever came through the door. His shoulders rose and fell with each strenuous breath he took. Sam had backed away from the opening and was positioned to Nikki's right, his posture mimicking Josh's.

As her eyes adjusted further, Nikki looked around. Below her feet, her soggy trainers squelched against concrete and she could almost picture the wet prints she left as she shifted her weight.

The walls were covered with the same dated wallpaper as the hallway and there were three antique candle holders spaced evenly along the wall above Sam, but the candles they held had long since burned down to a waxy residue. The space, more a cell than a room, was like everything else in this house, large, and from what she could see there was only one way in and one way out.

Nikki took a tentative step backwards, stretching out an arm to try and brush the wall but even at full stretch it was no where to be found. She glanced behind only to be met by more darkness.

"Is there any way out of here that doesn't involve that door?" she asked.

"No, but don't worry, we got this covered," Josh replied tersely.

They were trapped.

"When they come, get her out," Josh continued, turning his attention to Sam.

"I can help."

"No! Just get her out safely."

As they spoke, they kept their sights firmly on the door in front of them.

"I'm staying with you." Nikki mumbled, her voice timid and quiet.

"No, you go with Sam. No matter what happens, go with him and I'll meet up with you later." His tone made it clear that this was not up for discussion.

Already exhausted from the events of the morning, Nikki didn't have the strength to argue and it was clear that no matter what she said, Josh wouldn't change his mind so she closed her mouth and backed down.

She had no idea how he expected to get out of this, but then she didn't have a clue what was actually happening and she wasn't entirely sure what Josh was capable of.

The room was warming up considerably and Nikki was thankful that her clothes and hair had begun to dry. In a way she found it rather pleasant.

"You'll find me?" she asked. "Straight away? You're not ... You'll come and get me?"

The thought of running away and leaving Josh with whatever was coming didn't sit right but she knew she had to trust him, now more than ever - after all, it was her fault they had found them. She'd been the one running around the forest during a hissy fit.

"Of course," Josh replied. Nikki could hear the smile in his voice.

"You promise?"

"I promise. Now you promise me, no matter what happens when they come through that door - regardless of what happens to me - you'll go with Sam." He glanced briefly over his shoulder.

Nikki's heart quickened and she paused. "What do you mean? Regardless of what happens to you?"

"Don't worry," Sam stepped in, "he can handle himself just fine. Don't forget he's indestructible." He smiled and moved to slap Josh on the back.