10. Tears At Dinner

Adele was nervously waiting with Francesco and Costanzo in the dining room for Piero Rosario to enter. It was now midnight and the long overdue dinner was going to be served. The three youngsters were standing behind their chairs waiting for Piero to appear so they could sit.

At last Piero entered with delay. Adele looked down immediately. She couldn't trust herself not to give him her most hateful glare. She had asked Francesco not to make her go to dinner but Francesco didn't have a choice. His uncle had insisted for Adele to be there.

Uncle Piero walked to his seat and sat down that sent the signal it was ok to sit for all of them. he said his meal time prayers as usual and started eating without another word. Minutes passed in silence as Adele was sitting unmoved. She had no appetite. She couldn't get over the shock of the events happening in the mansion that day.

Piero's voice startled her "Remind me of your name girl. I have forgotten."

Francesco sighed and spoke "Her name is Adele uncle."

Piero raised his eyebrows "I believe she has a tongue. I am sure Adele can speak for herself without problem. She is your girl after all. I am certain you haven't picked a weakling for yourself. Lets find out. Are you a weakling Adele?"

Adele looked up at Piero. She was enraged but tried to keep her voice steady "I am not a weakling."

Piero spoke "Very well. That's more like it Adele. Look me in the eye and answer my questions. Firstly tell me why you are not eating? Is there something wrong with the food we have prepared fro dinner?"

Francesco looked at Adele and held her hand in his trying to comfort her, hoping she could give a polite response. Adele looked at Francesco and then to Piero "I am not hungry Mr Rosario. I am sorry. I did tell Francesco that I have lost my appetite and don't wish to join you for dinner but he said that you ..... insisted."

Piero smiled "Of course. Why didn't I guess that not feeling hungry was your reason. We can fix that for you. I will ask for some entertainment to be brought into the room by my guards."

Francesco and Costanzo both said in unison "No". Then Francesco spoke "Uncle. That wont be necessary. Please don't bring any entertainment. Uncle. I think Adele will start eating now. Wont you Adele?" He turned and looked at her with narrowed eyes.

Adele was baffled. What kind of entertainment was their uncle referring to that had made these two brothers panic? It must have been something bad. So Adele spoke quickly "I think the food looks too lovely. I have to try it. Thank you Mr Piero. With your permission I start."

Piero nodded "Good. Eat now. I don't like it when my guests don't respond to my hospitality. It makes me feel as though I haven't provided enough for them to enjoy themselves. Tell me if you need entertainment to gain some appetite.

Francesco asked Adele quietly "What would you like? Do you want to have some lasagne? Its our chef's specialty dish."

Adele spoke in a whisper "Yes Please." As Francesco placed food on her plate, she then started eating slowly and reluctantly. She was hoping for this dining hour to end soon. She hated sitting in such close proximity to a man who had caused her family pain and distress. But then she reminded herself that her family had a lucky escape by being spared for now thanks to Francesco. There were numerous families of doctors who had co-operated with FBI held in the cellar at that moment and they were destined to die. Adele couldn't help but let her tears fall. She took a napkin quickly and wiped her tears but she couldn't stop crying.

Costanzo was looking at Adele worriedly but didn't dare say a word. He knew his uncle didn't want to hear his objective voice very much after their confrontation so he was trying to act as the obedient nephew for now hoping his uncle wont turn on him again.