18. Last Moments

It was almost midnight and Adele still was laying on her bed wide awake waiting for Francesco to return to his bedroom. After dinner he had dropped off Adele in his room and had left Costanzo with Adele to watch over her. He had told her he needed some time by himself clear his head. Adele was worried sick. He had been gone for hours now.

Adele looked at Costanzo who was reading a book in the corner of the room sitting behind Francesco's desk. She spoke " He is not back yet still. You said he would be back before midnight. Aren't you worried? You don't even know where he has gone with those guards."

Costanzo reluctantly looked up from his book " He needs time to get his head around what has happened. He will be fine. There are guards accompanying him so he will be looked after. I know my brother. He copes this way with things. I cope differently. I go silent and occupy myself with books but he ..... may need different ways to calm himself down.."

Adele spoke" I am scared. Where ever he went shouldn't he be back by now?"

Costanzo spoke " Don't make a big deal out of it. He will be back soon. He probably has lost track of time and most likely doesn't know it would worry you if he disappears till late. You see, we never had curfews in this house while being raised by our father. We did what we wanted till late. For all I know he may have gone to a fight club. We used to go together there to let off some steam. Now I have changed. I use other ways to let go of my frustrations."

Adele spoke " I don't understand your family at all. They force you to do many things and hurt you but they also let you do what you want in your free time as long as it involves violence. Why can't your father let you live completely freely if he doesn't even bother with curfews."

Costanzo smiled sadly " As long as we do as he says he won't mind what we do with our time."

Adele sighed and became thoughtful then she spoke " Can I ask you something? How come you are fine with all this? Why aren't you freaked out like Francesco? You saw how he broke every piece of furniture on his way to his room. How can you be so calm. Your uncle has decided to break apart your family. You won't see your brother very much from now on. You will be living with your uncle. How come you don't look as affected or as distraught."

Costanzo looked away and sighed " Actually I am heart broken but I know things could be worse. Throughout all my life, Francesco and I feared for our mothers life to be in danger. Our father had many plans to hurt her and he used to name some gruesome ways he wanted to kill our mother at times when he was angered by random causes. We never thought he would go through with it unless he was provoked. And here we are. It happened. Our mother went to the police and she became lamb for the slaughter for my father. Francesco and I are lucky that our uncle favours our mother to be alive. As for living with my uncle, I am not worried. He is not that bad. If I do as he says, he can be the most loving uncle anyone would want. He is not as strict as my father when it comes to treating me or Francesco. In the past month that we lived in Oklahoma he only beat me once and I deserved it for speaking out of turn."

Adele spoke " But now he will be training you. what if he .... makes you commit murder like how Francesco was forced to do by your father. What if he hurts you mentally like how your father has damaged Francesco?" Then she broke down sobbing.

Costanzo turned to Adele with wide eyes " Why? Why are you crying? Not again. Please. Francesco would blame me if he finds you crying while on my watch. Please stop." He then got up and walked to Adele's bed and sat down on the edge. He took Adele's hand " Look. You need to calm down. I have no idea what will happen but crying about it won't help. Don't worry about me. Please stop."

Adele choked on her sobs " I hate your father and your uncle. They want to turn you into monsters like themselves".

Costanzo spoke " I know. It was always bound to happen though. A Rosario is condemned either way."