20. A Criminal's Mind

Adele's silence was bothering Francesco. She was just looking down at her hands in her lap and biting her lip as she was sitting opposite him at the breakfast table he had set up for them. Francesco spoke "Adele. When I ask you a question, I expect a response. I don't ask anything twice from anyone. But you are not anyone of course. So here is another chance for me to repeat my question. Answer me now. Tell me something that you think I should know about how your brother managed to not know anything about the extent of your relationship with O'Connor. I need to give him a verdict and sentence him today. Also sweet heart don't ever look elsewhere when I look at you. I want to see your beautiful eyes when I speak to you."

Adele could not believe Francesco's words. He had brought Angelo to his mansion and was asking her to defend her brother as though Angelo had committed any crimes. She wasn't even sure if she could make things worse for Angelo by speaking. She reluctantly looked up and sighed "Francesco. What do you expect me to say? You are scaring me here by speaking with so much threat in your voice about my brother. Angelo is a member of my family. How can you speak so casually about giving him a "Verdict" as you call it as though he has committed a crime by being kept in the dark for so long about my relationship with Michael. I kept him in the dark because .... I was afraid he might come to New York and tell you about me being in a relationship and knowing you, I was certain you would hurt me. Try to understand Francesco. You left me all alone without contacting me. I was sure you had moved on by the time I met Michael. But part of me knew you were going to go after him even if you were married to another woman. So the fault is all mine. I didn't tell Angelo anything. That's why he didn't know anything about me. If you want to give anyone a verdict, that should be me. Not him. I am the guilty one."

Adele was feeling nervous. She didn't know what to expect next from Francesco. Was he capable of hurting her? His passive facial expression certainly didn't give anything away. To her surprise, Francesco laughed. He spoke with amusement in his voice "Adele. You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask you to defend yourself or explain your actions to me. Its clear to me that you are not guilty sweetheart. A man approaches you and asks you out. Its not your fault if he forces you to go out with him." His expression suddenly turned menacing and he spoke with fury "It's a man's job to protect a woman. I gave your brother a job ten years ago. I told him to take care of you and not let you out of his sight. The next thing I know, O'Connor is allowed to waltz into your life and take you away. He almost succeeded in taking you away. I say Angelo is guilty of neglecting you. What if O'Connor turned out to be someone after hurting you? Angelo not following you around and not knowing where you were every waking moment is his crime. I asked him to watch you. He ignored my direct request. No one refuses me anything and gets away with it. No one fails me and gets to walk free without paying for it. Impossible. He is going down for his own mistakes."

Adele was looking at Francesco with disbelief "Francesco. How can you think this way? If you want anyone to blame, its you who neglected me. You left me. You should have watched me. Not him."

Francesco shrugged "But I never neglected you. I told you I had you under surveillance. I knew where you were all the time."

Adele spoke "So if you were watching me, then what did you need Angelo for? Why didn't you contact Angelo and told him about what I was upto then if you knew I was cheating on you all along."

Francesco spoke "Isn't it obvious. I was testing your brother's loyalty just like how I was testing you all this time. My uncle told me, I must make sure I know my woman is hundred percent committed to me before I go to her just like how I am expected to test my men at every chance I get to make them prove their loyalty. You passed your test. Your brother failed. I didn't interfere since I wanted to see how it all ends and then I step in when things get out of hand and ..... get my revenge."