"Happy Birthday, sweetheart." Nana opened her arms, a warm smile gracing her face. I was pretty sure this was the part where I was supposed walk into them and hug her.

"You remembered?" I asked, as the pieces started to float together as to why Nana and Papa were here.

"Your grandmother never forgets anything, Katie," he said in a worn voice, like those words had left his mouth one too many times. I glanced over to see a devilish sparkle in his eyes, almost as if he couldn't wait to tell people.

"Nana, did you bring chocolate chip cookies?" Finn asked from my Dad's lap.

"I brought Katie's favorite cookies: oatmeal raisin. After all, we're not celebrating you today Mr. Finn, now are we?" she laughed.

"I think we should celebrate me everyday." Finn stretched out only to have Dad tickle him.

"Oh, we do, buddy, every other day of the year." Dad laughed.

"Except for my birthday," Ava said, glancing up from her phone, no doubt she was texting Charlie.

"You remembered?" I asked again in dismay.

"She never forgets anything, K." Ava furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Weren't you just listening?"

"Just another reason to celebrate me." Finn's cheeked reddened.

"Oh shush, Finnegan, will you?" Ava said, a smile playing on her lips as she motioned for him to come sit next to her.

"Dinner's ready, guys," Nora walked out with chicken covered in some sort of sauce. My mouth started watering in the best of ways.

"Is that what I think it is?" I asked Ava, too afraid to ask Nora.

"Chicken piccata?" A smile crept onto her face. "Yep," she sighed a content sigh.

"I love chicken piccata," I told her.

"Yeah I know, that's why Mom made it," she said as we sat down for dinner.

"Oh, Katie! Open mine next!" Finn said to me from across the table. He bounced around excitedly in his seat, like if he had to wait another minute longer, he would fall out of his chair, or end up opening the present for me.

I had to laugh at that and reached for a present that could only be wrapped by a five-year-old. I tore the wrapping paper off somewhat delicately, but nothing could compare to how delicate I held the framed crayon drawing in my hands. I didn't say thank you, like I knew I should, even though I wanted to so badly. I didn't hug Finn or smile. I just stared at the disproportional, very colorful people drawn by Finn.

Finn didn't seem to notice because he went on and described his handiwork to me. "Ok, so, Mom is the tall purple lady with the glass of wine."

"Seems fitting." Nora nodded, her hand wrapped around an actual wine glass.

"And then you're next to her in the orange. Then comes me. And then Ava And then Dad is on the outside with his clipboard. He's smiling because he's with us, but obviously if he was at practice, he would have an angry look on his face and yelling something like, 'you worthless bums! Skate faster!'" Finn stood up on his chair to imitate Dad and everyone laughed at that. I was still mesmerized by the picture. "That's our family." Finn said more quietly as he sat back down in his seat.

"You ok, Katie?" Ava whispered, so only I could hear.

"Uh-huh." I barely nodded, before retreating into my mind.