Chapter 48: Answers?

Começar do início

"Chris," Mom yelled at him. "What," he answered back. "Excuse me?" He took a deep breath. "Yes Eve?" "What is up with you two? This is ridiculous! There's no reason to talk to her like that!"

Chris licked his lips and looked at me. "If you knew half the things I did..." He shook his head. "Then you would understand." He looked at me then at Devon then back at me and walked out the door. I had to swallow in order to not make myself cry. Devon came over to me. "Stop it." I stepped back and ran past him.

Can't we get this dinner over with?!

It's around ten and we're sitting at the table waiting for dinner.

Devon had gotten reservations for a V.I.P area in a secluded part of the restaurant, not too visible from the rest of the restaurant.

I sat there staring at the table cloth as I rubbed my arms to get rid of the cold. Goosebumps devoured my arms.

Every time I would look up I'd see Mom staring at me, sadness on her face. Devon would reassure her that I was fine. She'd smile slightly then jump back into the adults' conversation.

By the time our food arrived I wasn't really hungry anymore.

When I did actually eat, there wasn't much gone from my plate.

"You not hungry Ray'vn," Kei asked. "No." "We can try to have you take it home." She rubbed my back. I shook my head. "Are you ready to talk yet baby?" I shook my head no. "Alright," she stroked my hair. "Let me know when okay?" "Yeah."

I put the cover back over my food.

I checked my phone for the time. It was 11:50. It didn't seem as though we were leaving for maybe a good hour or so.

Everyone was pretty much separated most of the time. They would occasionally came together when they felt they wanted to. Unlike Chris and Jeremy, they stayed away from each other. I guess J still wasn't talking to him after last night. Ray and I were the only ones still at the table. My legs were cramping up but I rather play sitting duck than make an attempt to talk to anyone. I don't want to cause a scene here.

Moments later I was unaware that Ray had got up. He came up next to me. "Can I talk to you?" His voice sounded different than normal but maybe it was me going crazy.

I said nothing. I simply rose from my seat and followed his to a window.

Ray

I stood there nervous as all hell.

She didn't even look at me. Everything about her: her facial expression, her posture, the way she was acting since I had seen her earlier tonight, you could tell she was broken up.

"You look nice tonight." "Thanks."

I swallowed as I felt myself starting to choke.

I breathed deeply. 

"Ray'vn, I'm sorry." She looked out the window next to us and rolled her eyes. "Seriously Ray'vn I am. I've been thinking a lot since last night and I talked to Rico and Zane... I realized I shouldn't have said those things to you. I only act that way Ray'vn because I love you. I truly, truly, truly really love you Ray'vn. Sometimes I don't think you understand that like you say you do." I could see water in her eyes. "I don't want you to hate me." She said nothing.

A drop of water slipped to the floor.

"You've been acting weird since I saw you earlier tonight. Plus you and Chris are fighting," I began. "A-A-Are you okay? D-Did something happen?"