stung

I just read about 3 books on the werewolf "what's hot" page and I couldn't not give you another chapter.

I need to save you from these clichés.

--------

Our eyes met, and I quickly inhaled through my snout. I shifted my head away and finally felt like dealing with Ear's annoying behavior. More like taking my frustration of being caught oogling the male out on the only thing in punishable distance.

Ear let out another uncomfortable whine and I quickly dove and nipped at his scruff, growling lowly. Not taking the hint, he whined even louder and looked up at me. I flashed my fangs quickly, in a wolfy way of saying "shut the hell up". He let out one last pitiful whine before settling down beside me, his body leaning up against my legs. I looked up at a furious Naveed and a now distracted stranger wolf and decided we'd probably be here for some time and it'd be more comfortable for me if I sat down.

I plopped my butt down and leaned my body slightly against Ear, letting him bear some of my weight so I could relax. He didn't mind. It seems he had either gotten used to my scent or it had toned down somewhat throughout the day, for which I would be extrememly thankful for if that was so.

"--understand that she is pack. But that shouldn't matter; every wolf gets a chance to compete for the prize." The stranger growled out, his voice increasing the more he spoke. His voice was warm, and reminded me of when some of the pups--including me-- had been sent to visit a cottage years back, and an older man had spent the entire day cutting down wood for us to burn for the evening fire. Somehow watching the effort he had put in for us had made the fire seem that much nicer and warmer. His voice reminded me of that lesson: a mixture of warmth and hard work.

"I can't accept! She doesn't even want to do it." Naveed argued back, and by now I had clued in that their subject was centered around me.

The stranger scoffed, "You know better than I that she needs someone now, before it gets worse and she ends up sending every male in an eight male vicinity into a complete frenzy. It's hard even for me to keep level-headed."

There goes the rejoice of my scent deescalting throughout the day.

"You know Sylvan- I don't want that kind of shit going down." Naveed muttered bitterly, obviously not impressed yet finally resigned to the fact he couldn't win whatever they were arguing about.

The male suddenly growled, and I finally felt his dominance ten-fold. My joints physically shook as they threatened to collapse and my muscles coiled till I was a groveling ball on the ground. Ear was far more affected than I, as he crushed his body against the ground and tucked his tail between his legs and practically yowled a protest. I was with him on that one, and I angrily glared at the man.

Our eyes met and he briefly relaxed and looked back to Naveed. His dominating presence gradually lifted and my legs stopped shaking, also allowing Ear to push himself off of the ground and shake out his muddy fur, splattering dirt all over mine in the process. I wasn't too peeved, since I was already covered head to toe in it. Thank goodness my fur was dark enough to conceal most of it.

"I would never let Sylvan within a mile of her." He growled out in reply to Naveed. His eyes flickered up to mine briefly before I tore my gaze away to the back of Naveed's head.

Alpha scoffed, "Well you sure did a great job with that, considering more than an hour ago he was in the hall drinking up her scent like Chardonnay!"

I shivered at the memory of that man.

Suddenly the male growled, his lips parting over his teeth as the sound tore up his throat and reverberated through the trees. All eyes were drawn to him as he breathed laboriously and pinched the bridge of his nose between his two fingers.