Chapter 15

It's the day before Christmas and we've done everything we possibly could have done to get ready for the holiday, and now we're all just sitting here. He head is on Luke's shoulder and I'm so bored. I exhale slowly.

The TV isn't on.

"You guys should do the water challenge." Madison mutters.

She's looking at Luke and I.

"What's that?" I ask.

"You have to stare at each other with your mouths full of water and whoever laughs first loses."

I sit up. "We're doing it. I'll take anything."

Everyone apparently feels the same way because they all get up and follow me to the kitchen.

I pour a glass of water and hand it to Luke.

"So what, I just stare at her with my mouth full of water?" Luke asks. Madison nods.

She starts recording. I sit down at the table right across from Luke.

He fills his mouth and slides the glass to me.

I fill my mouth, sit back, and lock eyes with him. Madison is recording.

He raises his eyebrows at me. I raise mine back.

His lip quivers.

He's going to laugh.

I fight laughter too, and then I crack and burst out laughing, spitting water all over his face. He starts laughing too, soaking my face in his warm spit water, which makes me laugh harder. Everyone is laughing.

I'm dying, and then Luke says two words that makes everyone fall silent.

"Marry me."

He sits there for about half a second and then mutters, "Fuck." and then gets up and walks away.

Seconds later, the front door slams.

I stand up and follow him without a word.

He's rushing down the path, and then he stops and just sits on the curb.

I'm not surprised when everyone follows me.

I'm wet and my shirt is light and I only have socks on, but I walk over to him anyways.

I stand next to him for a second.

His fingers are knotted in his hair and his knuckles are white from how tightly he's pulling them.

He doesn't look at me.

I inhale silently.

"I'm pretty sure when you ask someone to become your wife, you're not supposed to walk away."

He sighs quietly.

"You don't understand." he whispers. I hear his sniffle.

I put my hand on his arm.

"Are you crying?" I whisper.

He sighs.

"You don't know everything about me." he mutters.

I don't say anything.

"Ever since I was six years old my Dad has gotten married and divorced eleven times."

I don't say a word.

"He divorced my Mom when I was six, Dustin was nine, and the twins were a few months. He didn't' get back with her until a year or so ago, so he's always forcing girls on me. Trying to get me to get married. He just doesn't want me and Dustin and Ethan to end up like him. Or Amelia, for that matter. And I guess...being around multiple failed marriage, I'm scared. I'm so scared to get married. I've been wanting to ask you for weeks and I've had the ring in my pocket for so long. Every time I get so close to ask you, and then I chicken out, because-" he cuts off.

"Because?" I whisper. He shakes his head.

"Talk to me."

"Because if you say no I'll probably lose you."

"Luke," I whisper. He sighs. "Look at me sweetheart."

He moves his arms and looks at me. His cheeks are tear stained. I cup his cheeks.

"You are not your father." I whisper. "And I am not your mother...or any one of your eleven step-mothers. You are Luke. I'm Alyssa. You don't need to be afraid to lose me. You're stuck with me."

"I'm just scared."

"Don't be." I whisper. "I'm not going anywhere." I hesitate.

"You're hesitating. Why are you hesitating?" he looks panicked.

He starts to get up. I pull him back down.

"I want to move here." I whisper. "Actually, I am moving here."

"I'm coming with you." he says without hesitating. He pulls of his jacket. "your lips are blue."

I smile.

"Ask me again."

His eyes widen.

"Oh...no." he shakes his head. I just look at him.

He stares at me for a long time, and then takes a deep breath. He stands up and pulls me to my feet. He fixes his jacket on my shoulders and then pulls a black velvet ring box out of his pocket and drops to one knee in the street.

"Alyssa Marie..." he hesitates for half a second. "...Stafford, will you marry me?"

I feel my eyes welling with tears.

"Yes." I whisper.

He grins and puts the ring on my finger. I hear everyone cheering. He picks me up and spins me around, and then slips on some ice and we both go crashing to the ground. He cushions my fall.

"Are you okay?" I ask, sitting up on his groin.

"Yes." he laughs. "I'm excellent."

Mom shouts something, panicked.

The next thing I know, I'm in the snow and Luke is next to me.

A black SUV that I wouldn't forget anywhere jerks to a stop.

And my psychotic adopted mother gets out of the car.

"What the hell?" she yells at me. "Why are you lying in the middle of the street."

"We-" I cover Luke's mouth with my hand and shake my head.

"Why do you care?" I say coldly.

"Excuse me? I am your mother."

I get right in her face. "No. You're. Not."

She looks so pissed. I don't even blink.

"You little bitch." she hisses.

Luke gently pulls me back.

"You need to leave." he says.

"No! I will not leave! I'm taking my daughter!" she yells.

"Uh, excuse me," Mom cuts in. "Did you just call my daughter your daughter?"

"Your daughter?" My adopted mother snaps. "She's my daughter!"

"No she isn't. I birthed her!"
"I raised her!"
"Yes."Mom says. "You did, and thank you for that, but I'm taking over."

"Alyssa doesn't want you!" my adopted mother yells. "She wants me, right?"

"You're a bitch. I want my real parents."

She raises her had at me, but Mom hits her.

The two of them start fighting.

"Stop!" I shout, shoving them apart. "You, get the fuck out of here before I call the fucking cops!"

My birth mother glares at me and leaves.

I don't say a word to my parents, I just turn around and storm into the house, upstairs, and lock myself in my room.