Chapter 7

A week later, my father calls me while I'm at work for the first time since I was eighteen to let me know he is coming as well.

Along with my entire family, and it's going to be a big deal and Lauren and I are expected to show.

And, if I don't have a boyfriend, I will be disowned.

I walk into my house for the first time since it was shot up to see all of my things are gone.

I look around and known instantly what happened.

I storm over to Luke's house.

It smells clean and nothing is on the floor.

I look around.

Wow.

I storm into the living room where he is sleeping on the couch in a pair of boxer breifs.

He looks hot as fuck.

"Hey!" I shake his shoulder.

He mumbles something and opens his eyes a crack.

"Hey vomit." he says. "Long time no puke."

"Where the hell is my stuff?"

"Upstairs." he yawns. "You look tan."

I shrug. "Why did you bring my stuff here?"

"Well considering you fucking almost got killed, I thought it was right." he stands up and stretches.

I follow him upstairs. I've never been upstairs.

He walks into a room to the left of the master.

All of my stuff sits in it.

I stare at it with my arms crossed.

"It's not a good idea to go back to that psychotic neighborhood."

I shut my eyes for a moment.

"I need your help with something."

I turn to him.

He smirks.

"Are you, Alyssa Marie Kennedy asking me, Luke Tyler Raider for help?" he smirks.

"It's already hard enough. Don't make it worse." I grumble.

"Alright, what is it?"

"Um...I haven't really seen my family since I was eighteen and uh...they're coming."

"So? Shouldn't you be happy?"

Slowly, I shake my head.

"They're assholes?"

"Well...my Dad isn't. He has good intentions...and he loves me, and he's saved me tons of times...but my sister and my grandparents..." I sigh. "Well, they're all dicks."

"Why?"

"My sister...she's just...I'll get to her later, but my Grandparents don't like me because I graduated with a 3.8 GPA instead of a 4.0 like my sister. My sister is the star. My Aunt's and Uncles are nice. My sister is engaged and is bringing her fiancé."

"So? Where do I come in?"

I bite my lip. "I need..." I sigh. "I need you to pretend to be my boyfriend."

His eyebrows shoot up into his hairline.

"My sister is a bitch and...well, she thinks that you are my boyfriend."

"So...what do I have to do?"

"Play the part. You have to be the star boyfriend...just until they leave."

"Okay." he shrugs. "If you sleep in another room they're gonna know something is up."

"So I'll sleep in another room when the time comes."

"Wait." he says. "Why don't you stay here? Stay in there...so we can get a system."

I let out a slow breath. "I don't want to live with you...we'd be horrible roommates anyways, seeing as I hate you and you hate me."

He frowns. "I don't hate you, I'm just a dick."

I exhale slowly.

"Whatever you say. I'm going to...fix this." I look into the room I'm staying in.
"Wait." he says. "You didn't mention your mother."

"My Mom used to abuse me, but not my sister."

"Is she your grandparents daughter?"

"Yes."

He sighs and shakes his head and goes in his room and shuts the door.

I go in my room and shut the door, text Katie and Lauren my plan, and then start to unpack.

Luke walks right into my room.

"I'm going out."

"Okay." I say.

He leaves.

<><>

Around eleven at night, I hear the front door slam downstairs. I don't get up.

I have cable in here. I'm laying in a white skintight tank top and black spandex. My hair is up in a messy bun and I'm flipping through channels.

Luke walks right in my room.

"You need to knock." I say. "I know it's your house and such, but what if I was masturbating?"
"You masturbate?" he asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Everyone masturbates."

"Whatever. Come here. I need to show you something outside that I cut my leg on. You need to be careful of it at night."

Groaning, I get up and put on flip flops. I follow him downstairs.

He leads me outside.

"This." he taps the exhaust pipe of a matte red Jeep Wrangler.

It's lifted.

I look at him. He hands me the keys.

"I figured it was time. I made you wait long enough." he starts scratching the back of his neck.

"Wow." I mutter. "I didn't think you were actually going to get it."

"I made you a bet. You won. I made a deal. I always keep my promises, even if it takes me a while...but I have some bad news."

"Let me guess, it doesn't work." I say.

"No...the same week your family is coming is the same week my family is coming for Thanksgiving."

I sigh slowly.

"Then I'm screwed?"

"No." he says. "I have a plan. I'll tell you when it's time. Let's go inside."

"I..." I hesitate. "Thank you."

I hug him.

He pauses, and then hugs me back.

He reminds me of a giant teddy bear. He's warm and cozy.

I don't let it last too long. I pull away. "I'm taking it on a drive."

He laughs. "Have fun. Don't blow any red lights."