Chapter 12

"Are you sure about this?" Luke asks.

I exhale.

"I think we should go home." Mr. Raider says. "Alyssa, I already love you like my kid. I don't think you should do this."

I sigh.

It's three days before Christmas and Luke and everyone managed to convince me that I am not biologically my parent's child.

Now we're sitting in the car outside of the house I grew up in in Washington.

Everyone took their cars and followed us. I drove with Luke and his parents.

Kendall is in the car behind me.

I sigh

I have on a black hoodie.

I'm going to find something like a piece of hair from the house or something.

I have scissors with me just in case.

"Alyssa, I don't think you should do this."

It's midnight.

The front door opens and my jaw drops when I see Mom dragging Sara out by the hair.

"You little bitch!" she slaps her.

"Who is that?" Mrs. Raider gasps.

"Her sister and Mom." Luke says quietly.

I get out before Luke can stop me and slam the door.

I go storming across the street.

"What the fuck is your problem?" I yell at her. "Dammit, you fucking bitch, why did you have kids if all you're going to do is abuse them? Fuck you, Mom!"

She stands there, shocked.

I help Sara up. She's got a black eye. "Don't touch her!" I yell at Mom as she reaches for my sister.

Mom lunges at me this time.

"Jesus, stop it!" Dad yanks her back. "Stop hurting my kids! What the hell I wrong with you!"

he grabs my arm, and Sara's, and pulls us towards his truck.

"Are you two okay?"

"Used to it." I mutter as Sara says. "She's a fucking bitch."

"Yeah, she is a fucking bitch." Dad says. "Alyssa, what are you doing here?" he asks.

I sigh.

"I came to see if I'm adopted." I mutter.

He looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Why would you think that?" he asks.

"Because I look nothing like you guys."

He sighs. "Yes." he says. "You're adopted."

"Why aren't you being a dick to me? You made it clear last time I saw you that you never wanted to speak to me again."

He sighs.

"Because i'm a horrible father, that's why. Can I have another chance?"

"No." I mutter.

"Why?' he asks

"Because. I don't..." I hesitate, my eyes filling with tears. "I don't want to be around people that are constantly putting me down, okay? I don't like it. I don't like how you treat me. I don't like how Mom treats me. You guys hated me because I was overweight and I didn't graduate with as good of grades as Sara did! But I'm not Sara, I'm Alyssa! I'm Alyssa and I want parents who are going to be there for me, not parents that are going to make she choose between them and the man I love! And it sucks, it sucks because I see all these people with loving families and I'm scared to meet any of them because of how badly you guys scarred me, and I can't live like that!"