Chapter 14

"Oh shit!" I gasp, ducking as my sixteen year old sister, Madison, throws a handful of flour in my face.

I spray her with the water and then throw the flour at her.

Laugh, we start throwing cake batter and sugar and salt.

"What the hell girls!" a pissed off voice says behind me.

Both of us whip around to come face to face with our mother.

"Oh my gosh, the batter is ruined! You two..." she trails off. "Clean this mess up and then Alyssa, I'm giving you money and both of you are going to the store and getting more supplies. Do it again and I'll tell your father. You have twenty minutes to clean this."

She turns around and walks out of the kitchen.

I look at Maddie and the two of us burst out laughing.

I made everyone go home so I could spend time with my family. I've been accepted back into their life like I never left. Mom and Dad and I already agreed that after tomorrow, which is Christmas, we're going to go and they're going to legally adopt me and I'm changing my last name from Kennedy to Stafford.

I grab a handful of flour and blow it in her face. She laughs.

"Alyssa Marie!" Mom says. "That's it. SCOTT!" I cringe.

I hear Dad's loud footsteps on the stairs and then he walks into the kitchen.

His eyes widen. Madison and I cringe.

He looks at us and then at the kitchen.

"What happened?"

"Our daughters thought it would be fun to throw food around. They destroyed the cookies and now all of them are ruined! I told them to stop and then Alyssa threw more at Madison!"

Dad studies the two of us and then looks at Mom.

"Marie, look." Dad says. "We have your family together. Both of our girls are here. They get along and they love each other. So they made a mess? So what?"

Mom sighs.

"I guess you're right." she says. "But you two are still cleaning this up and you're still going to get more."

"Of course." I say.

<><>

"It's in the lining of the floor." Mom says.

"Mom!" Madison says. "Don't be ridiculous!"

My phone starts ringing.

"Alyssa Marie," Mom starts. I sigh and pull my phone out.

It's a number I don't know.

I send it to voicemail.

"Mom, why does that matter?" I sigh.

"Because I said it does, now-"

My phone starts ringing again.

It's Luke this time. I text him.

Me: can't talk baby, sorry, love you, call you later

"You girls are three seconds from scrubbing the floor with your hands."

"Like your maid?" Madison snaps.

"Madison!" Mom says.

"We'll do it." I wave her off. With help from my sister, we clean the rest of the kitchen.

Mom gives us the okay and makes us go to the store.

I get the stuf for cookies. Mom is on the phone when I get home. She kisses me cheek and Madisons and sends up upstairs to shower.