Our Last Words

"We ... we've come to say...goodbye." I say, my eyes filling with tears as I say the last word. 

"Jen, how did you know?" Jake manages to croak. 

I nod my head in the direction of my mum, who is resting her head in her hands on the hospital bed. She lifts her head and says, "I'll um... I'll leave you alone." and she rushes out of the room. I never really thought my mum liked Jake but I guess it's hard for her, he was my boyfriend after all : my first boyfriend. I guess Jake dying reminds her of her dad, who died when my mum was young. 

"Do you want me to leave as well?" Sam asks and I shake my head in reply. I need him if I'm going to do this. 

We walk over to the bed and sit on the soft chairs with mahogany frames and legs. 

I take Jake's pale hand into mine. I shiver at how cold it is, I guess he really is near to the end. 

"Jake... I-" I start to say but Jake cuts me off.

"Jen, I want to apologise about cheating on you, I didn't mean for it to happen... I was just shaken about finding out I had a few months left to live. I'm .... I'm sorry that you found out this way. " Jake says, pausing after every word. 

"I forgive you." I say and I mean it. I do forgive him, I can't stay mad at him, not when he's in this state. 

Sam clears his throat and speaks, "Jake, listen mate, I just want to apologise for punching you-"

"It's okay, I deserved it." Jake says and smiles wearily.

"I didn't know and I can't imagine that me beating you up did any good to you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. It really is." Jake replies, still smiling.

"Jen could you give us a moment?" Sam asks me.

"Yeah sure." I stand up to leave the room but turn back around when I hear Jake saying my name.

I walk over to him and he signals for me to lean in. He whispers into my ear, "I love you Jen."

"I love you too. Always have, always will." Not able to hold back any longer, I let the tears fall as Jake kisses my cheek. I then turn and walk out of the room. 

I walk over to my mum who is sitting on a baby blue chair by a coffee machine. I plop down onto a chair next to her.

We sit in silence for a few moments before my mum breaks the silence, "I approved of him, you know Jen."

I smile at my mum and for the first time I see her crying. Not just crying, sobbing. Sobs that shake her whole body and make her lose control. Not able to look at her in that state, I look away.

"Are you crying only because of Jake?" I whisper to my mum, not sure if I should have asked that question.

"No. Jake dying reminds me of my dad. It also reminds me of your dad." My mum answers.

At her words, I stand up. My mum grabs my wrist but I pull it free and walk over to stand by Jake's room. My dad is the only person in this world that I hate and my mum knows it. He left us, abandoned my mum when I was just a baby and for that I can never forgive him. 

I look up and into Jake's room. I watch him talking to Sam but his body stiffens and his face goes an unearthly white. I rush into the room and run to Sam, sitting in his lap. I sob into his shoulder and feel his tears on my cold neck. 

He's gone. He's really gone.

At 10:34 pm on the 26th of June, Jake Fields died.