Chapter 21 - My Enlightenment

Nana, Riona, Rowanne and Brian had only arrived moments before I'd teleported into our living room.

"Good god, Billie! What are you doing out of hospital?" Riona said holding a hand to her heart.

"When were you going to tell me that my parents' deaths weren't accidents?" I demanded.

"Where did you hear that?" Nana asked shocked.

"Nurse Cain is a witch. She tried to hide it and when I questioned why she was hiding herself she told me about the 'Preachers'." I air quoted the word.

"What did she just say?" Brian spoke up.

Heavy hearted Nana began, "We have no proof that your parents were murdered by these men, Billie."

"We've searched high and low for them the last three years but they haven't left a single lead for us to follow." Riona explained.

"Well, they're surfacing again. They've already killed three members of Nurse Cain's family." I informed them.

"Yes, I heard about their sister coven also." Nana said sadly.

"What is a sister coven?" Brian interrupted.

"They are witches whom are very distantly related to her coven."

"Do we have one?" he asked.

"Yes, but they mostly live in Salem or Boston." Nana explained.

"So when were you planning on telling us?" Brian indicated the two of us.

"Neither of you should worry about this just now. Your aunt and I shall see if we can find any new leads."

"You're not searching for them without me." I interrupted Nana.

"Billie, you should be in a hospital bed so you can be out in time for Graduation."

"And then what?" I demanded.

"Then during the summer you can help your aunt and I but when it's time for you to go to college you leave it to us."

"That's it?! That's all I get to do in bringing justice to my parents' deaths?" I said angrily.

"I want you focused on the future, Billie, your future. I want you to graduate and go to college like any girl your age does. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about our suspicions but I wasn't sure if you were ready."

"Okay, in the summer I'll work with you both then I go off to college. But if I get into Salem State..."

"If you get into Salem State you can work with me." Riona interrupted. Nana glared at her despairingly. "If I don't agree with her we wouldn't have heard the end of it." She said to Nana.

"So, these people quite possibly killed our parents and, also possibly, abducted our aunt and cousin but I don't get to do anything about it." Brian said firing up.

"I would let you, Brian, but you don't have any powers yet. I'm sorry." Nana's apology didn't soothe Brian's pain. Instead he turned on his heel, ran up the stairs and slammed his bedroom door behind him.

"I just wonder," I began, "are there any other secrets you're keeping from us?" I asked the room at large. "I hope you're not. It would save a lot of trouble if you'd just come clean." None of them met my eye.

"We're sorry, Billie. We never meant to hurt you or Brian." Riona said placing a gentle hand on her mother's shoulder.

"Well, you did."

"Then tell us how we make it up to you." Nana pleaded with tears in her eyes.

"Teach me more about my parents' killers. That would be a good place to start earning my trust again."