Chapter 19 - Prom

"Well, you can't argue that the school has spirit." Faith said as we approached the entrance.

"If you think this is bad just wait till Graduation Day." Said Dulcie.

"If we make it through tonight that is." I said in a hushed voice.

Riley grabbed my hand. "You can do this, Billie. I believe in you."

I smiled up at him. "You always say the right words."

Brian and Faith made some snorting and disgusted noises as Riley bent down to kiss me.

"Oh, suck it up!" I said smacking Brian's shoulder. "You think I liked watching Astrid play footsie with you?" I asked him.

Riley and I led the way through the door. The committee had carried on decorating after Dulcie and I left in the afternoon. The inside of the school was decked with more of the school's colours and the football team's mascot the Panther. The corridors leading towards the gymnasium where the dance was being held were decorated with ribbons, balloons and paper roses.

The only thing different about the gym, since I was last in it, was the table of food and fruit punch. Of course when I approached the table one of the bowls of punch had already been spiked. I was surprised none of the authoritative figures hadn't noticed the lingering aroma of vodka evading the punch bowl. I would've opted for the liquor free bowl if it wasn't for the floating cigarette butts.

"Lovely." I said to myself turning and almost colliding with Christian.

Normally, Christian dressed to impress and always looked very neat and handsome but tonight he looked as if he had dressed in the dark and ran his hair through a bush. The unkempt look was startling to all of his fellow female classmates as they were so used to his polished and urbane look.

"Where's your brother?" Christian asked taking hold of my arm.

"He's over there." I said nodding in Brian's direction.

"Hey, get your greasy fingers of my girlfriend, Hart!" Riley said threateningly. Christian turned away from me to see Riley towering over him. He quickly sidestepped Riley and made his way over to my brother.

"Hey, Black, where is my sister? I haven't seen her since yesterday and I can't find her." Christian said getting up in Brian's personal space.

Before any of us could act Dulcie stepped in and answered Christian.

"Look, Brian broke up with Astrid yesterday and I had to kick her off the team for some very strange behaviour on her part."

"Yeah," Brian started lamely, "She got upset and ran off. I'm sorry, I haven't heard from her since yesterday."

"Fine. Listen," Christian said starting to get agitated, "if you see her will you please tell her to come to me. I'm really worried about her."

"Of course, we'll pass the message on if we see her." Dulcie said.

"Thanks." Christian said before tearing his way through the crowd towards the exit.

"So, Desiree hasn't told him yet." I said as Riley and I joined the others.

"Apparently not." Willem noted.

"I can't say I'm not pleased that she hasn't." Said Faith.

"What shall we do now?" Dulcie asked.

"Mingle, dance and have fun." I said determined for them still to have a prom. "When I want you to go home I'll signal you."

"What's your signal?" Asked Brian.