Chapter 14 - An Unwelcome Truth

When I awoke in the morning it was to Midnight licking at my nose.

"Get off, Midnight. Back to your bed." I said swatting him away.

"Billie." I heard my name whispered through the door. "You need to get up! I can feel Riley in there with you and if you don't hide him quick your Nana will find him! She's on her way up, hurry!" Dulcie urgently whispered through the door.

I sat bolt upright and shook Riley until he was awake.

"What?" he groaned.

"You need to hide! Nana is on her way up!"

Riley jumped out of bed and hid himself under it. Just as he finished arranging the bedding sheets my Nana stepped into my room.

"You forgot to set your alarm clock last night. I didn't hear you come in."

"I teleported straight to my bedroom."

"I learned from Dulcie that you think the new students at school are responsible for those whom have gone missing."

"I've been trying to think of ways to track them but I keep coming up blank."

Nana patted my head. "Why don't you let me write you a spell? You've been trying to do everything yourself as if you're trying to prove something."

"Everyone has so much more experience about magic than I do. Even Rowanne and she hasn't even turned eighteen yet. I just want to show that I can be just as good and powerful as you."

"Billie, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone. All witches aren't born with the answers otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. We all have to learn somewhere."

"It's frustrating."

"I know, dear." She said kissing my head, standing up. "Now, once you've seen Mr Smith off I want you downstairs for breakfast." Then she swooped down and moved the bed sheets aside. "I would invite you to breakfast Mr Smith but since you snuck in here with my granddaughter, and without my permission, last night I'm not in an accommodating disposition." She said dropping the sheets.

"How did you..."

"I cast a spell, a long time ago, over the house to let me know when any uninvited guests crossed the threshold." she interrupted.

"Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, girl. It's not like I didn't sneak your grandfather into my room when I was your age. Just do me a favour and ask in future."

"Of course." I said tight lipped and blushing.

"And make sure you're home sharp today. Dulcie's aunt Laura moves this afternoon and I'm sure Dulcie will need her friend."

"Of course." I repeated.

"Once you leave Laura's, I don't want you to go to Riley's house tonight." Nana said as Riley pulled himself out from under the bed. "You're Familiar tells me the devils have been watching this house. You haven't started your combat training and I want you to be prepared in case there is an attack." Nana turned and said to Riley, "I want you to promise me, Mr Smith, until Billie knows how to fight, I want you to keep good care of her when I'm not around."

"You don't have to ask me that." Nana eyed him. "I swear on my beating heart to protect her."

With that Nana nodded at Riley and left us alone.

"What's a Familiar?" I asked Riley as he started putting his clothes on.

"It's Midnight." Riley answered nodding in Midnight's direction where he was curled up in his igloo bed once more. "You're best to ask your Nana, she can tell you more about them than I can."