Chapter 28

(fluff overload in this chapter, I'm not even sorry x)

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ Count On Me by Bruno Mars ♬

♬ Amazed by Lonestar ♬

CHAPTER 28

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

I WOKE UP to an empty spot beside me, the sheets cold as if they hadn't been occupied for a while. Frowning a little, I sat up to stretch while pondering where Harry could've gone. When he does wake up before me, he'll pull a stunt like yesterday to get me up as well. It's unlike him to simply not be there.

Running a hand through my hair, I gathered my clothes for the day and headed to the shower. Afterwards, I scrambled downstairs whilst yanking knots out of my wet hair, catching sight of Noah in the kitchen eating cereal, Mom and Mr. Pell talking politics. I instantly zoned out on them and turned my attention to Noah.

"Have you seen Harry?"

Noah, with a mouth full of Cheerios, shrugged. "Nope," he said, a Cheerio flying out of his mouth.

I pursed my lips, heading back upstairs to dry my hair. I didn't want to sound clingy or anything, but where had he gone so early in the morning? I say "early" and yet it's nearly noon. Once again, I slept in far too long. 

Nearly an hour later, I was on the couch playing Mario Kart with Noah when Harry walked in, looking frazzled and nervous. His eyes caught mine and he cleared his throat, tossing me a smile that was too strained to appear legit.

"Where did you go?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at how flustered he truly looked.

He scratched the back of his neck before raking a hand through his curls, an anxious habit of his that always gave him away. "For a walk?" he said, though it came out more of a question.

Confusion completely engulfing me, I laughed a little. "In ninety degree weather?"

"Yeah."

"Dressed like it's fall?"

He was getting uncomfortable again, and I hadn't meant to sound like I was interrogating him, but it was just such an odd thing to not wake up to his playfulness. I had gotten used to it all over again after being back with him for a few months, so it was just a little strange.

Mom came in from the kitchen at that moment, her eyes widening a bit before she played it off with a smile. "Oh, you're back from your walk. You look a bit sweaty. Maybe you should go take a shower?"

The relief that flooded Harry's face raised my suspicions even more. "Yeah, um, I'll go do that." He tried to smile at me again, but ended up practically running up the stairs.

I looked to Noah, who shrugged, and then looked to Mom, who instantly tried to hide back in the kitchen. "Oh, no." I nearly tripped over air trying to catch her. Making it into the kitchen, Mom was frozen like a deer in headlights, her back to me. I huffed, placing my hands on my hips. "What's going on?"

Slowly, she turned to me, about as anxious-looking as Harry. "What do you mean?"

I gave her a look. "You're both acting weird."

Mr. Pell came in from out back then, wiping sweat from his forehead with a towel. "Who's acting weird?"

"Mom and Harry."

"We are not."

"That's very debatable."

"I'm confused," Mr. Pell said, tilting his head some. "Did I miss something?"