Chapter 3

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER: 

♬ This Love by Taylor Swift ♬

♬ The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez ♬ 

CHAPTER 3

❀ GRACE WALKER 

          THE AIR WAS cool outside, so I threw on a jacket while waiting for Evan to haul us to the hospital. It was getting late that Friday, a little past seven when I heard his car horn outside. I bid goodbye to Audrey, who was getting ready for her night classes, and then head out the door.

        I flipped my hair out of the back of my jacket, opening Evan's passenger door and sliding in. I was surprised when I wasn't greeted with a bright teasing smile about how I never did anything with my hair or how I was dressed so ordinary. Little joking remarks he always made, and yet I was greeted with the radio turned up way too loud instead.

        I frowned as he started driving. "What's-"

        "Shh," he said, turning up the radio a little more. "The fight is starting."

       That's when I shrank in my seat a bit, remembering yesterday the announcers on the television. I tried to block out the voices traveling through the radio but to no avail was I capable of doing so. I was just glad the hospital wasn't too far of a drive.

        "Dang, I'd hate to be on that kid's bad side," Evan remarked as the announcers informed the audience that Harry had done some move called "back control". I had no idea what that was, but it was obvious enough that it was an advantage and he was winning.

        I was thankful when we pulled into the parking lot, opening my door as soon as the car stopped. I couldn't help but to walk quickly to the entrance, as if the voices and his would follow me the entire way. It wasn't long before Evan grabbed my shoulder to slow me down, shaking his head before falling in step beside me.     

        "Ready to give old men sponge baths?" he asked, that teasing smirk finally appearing on his lips.

        I rolled my eyes. "I'll leave the baths up to you. Lindy sends me to the kid's section at night most times," I told him. 

        "Yeah, I know. But only because you read them bed time stories," he said. "Pretty great of you, actually."

        I shrugged. "I like to read, and I somewhat like kids. Why not combine both?"

        He laughed and I smiled and then we were signing in on the intern sheet. As mentioned before, we didn't do much as interns. We were still in school, to say the least, so there wasn't a lot we could do. But we kept busy, assisting patients when they buzzed for minor help, checking in on other patients throughout the night to make sure their heartbeat was still regular if they were very ill, and things like that.

        My favorite was accompanying the doctor in the room when they checked vitals and such. It was better learning for me, watching everything play out. I took better mental notes than I did when my professor gave a lecture. Occasionally, if I helped Doctor Miles, he would let me draw blood and other small hands-on things. It really helped.

        After sitting around behind the front counter with Evan for what seemed like forever, Layla - another intern - came up to us. "Grace," she said, "Lindy wants you in the kid's area. Lights are going out over there soon."

        I nodded, standing from my game of rock-paper-scissors with Evan. He saluted me and I mimicked his actions before trailing the path I'd memorized to the kid's corridor.