Chapter 14

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER:

♬ I Choose You by Sara Bareilles ♬

♬ I Want You To Know by Zedd feat. Selena Gomez ♬

CHAPTER 14

❀ GRACE WALKER ❀

EVAN CAUGHT ME off guard the next day at the hospital. He had stormed into the room with his forehead creased, nose crinkled. It was odd to see someone usually so serene switch into someone so irate. I was almost a bit scared.

He hadn't answered me when I asked if he was okay. He hadn't even looked at me, merely waved me away. I refused to think I had done someone wrong, considering I hadn't done anything wrong. At least...not to my knowledge, I had.

The entire morning was spent with me watching Evan, waiting for him to confront me or confide in me. It was an excruciating three hours. Even the monotonous assignments of helping patients with the doctors weren't as interesting. I couldn't stop letting it bother me.

So when lunch swung around, it was I who confronted him.

"What's wrong?" I asked in a tone more demanding than I'd meant to, closing the lounge room door behind us.

Evan pursed his lips, sat down, and let his head fall to the table.

I sighed, taking a seat across from him. "I know I can't make you tell me, but can I make you feel guilty for not telling me?"

Not even a smile at my attempt of a joke.

Folding my arms on top of the table, I rested my chin where they overlapped and stared at the top of Evan's head. I reached one hand over, tapping his skull three times. When that didn't work, I tugged a few strands of hair. Still, nothing.

I frowned. I didn't like seeing him so...distant. "Hey," I murmured, letting my cheek rest on my arms so I was looking at him sideways. "You can talk to me."

After a few long moments, a little sigh fled his lips and he lifted his head to rest on his own arms. If someone were to walk in, they'd think we were both taking naps.

"It's nothing you should worry about," he said in a muffled voice. "I promise."

"Lucky for you, I like to worry." I poked his forehead. He gave me a pointed look. I pinched his cheek. His face finally broke into a small smile, though it was pained and forced.

He sat up a little but still kept his face leveled with mine. "Well," he said, "my mom has a douche of a boyfriend. I keep trying to talk her into kicking him out, but for some reason, she won't do it. I think it's because she doesn't want to be alone." He scowled, eyebrows pulling together.

"Anyways, he called me this morning. Apparently, they're going to his parents' house for his dad's birthday. He said he's making my sister go, so I have to go to. But all his dad ever does is put me down all the time. Literally, if looks could kill, I would've been dead the day I met him."

Evan looked so defeated in that moment, I felt the need to hug him, but the table stood firm between us and holding his stare was more important somehow. "I'm just tired of him calling me worthless, you know? And all Mom does is sit quiet and later tells me he's just joking. Fine, maybe he is, but it's not funny."

"Technically, you don't have to go, though," I said when I was sure he was finished. "You're twenty-one years old, Evan. He can't make you."

Evan ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I know. But I kind of go for my mom's sake, I guess. My little sister can only do so much for her. Mom doesn't like to get angry in front of her, so she vents to me instead. I don't know. I just feel obligated to go."