in which john has a nightmare

Start from the beginning

     "Well, see, I've decided that I'm going to become a vegetarian," Paul said, trying to say it in a way that would make it sound like something that was very much not a big deal at all.

     He failed.

     "Why the hell would you do that?" John raised one eyebrow.

     "I just...I've decided that I don't want to eat anything that once had a face," Paul shrugged his shoulders. "I mean, I don't care if other people eat animals because that's their business, not mine. I just...I'm not personally comfortable with it."

     "Oh," George said, not sure how to react.

     "Dinner is ready!" Mimi called from the kitchen and the three boys walked in and helped her set the table. Then they all sat down at the kitchen table and dug in.

     "This is delicious," George said through a mouthful of meatloaf. "Seriously, don't tell my mum I said this, but this is by far the best meatloaf I have ever had in my entire life."

     Paul and John glanced at each other and smirked. George was really trying to get on Mimi's good side.

     "Don't talk with your mouth full, dear," Mimi said.

     It took all that Paul and John had not burst into laughter.

     Mimi glanced at the two of them, then back at George and her expression softened just a bit. "But thank you, George. I appreciate the compliment."

     George beamed and ate a spoonful of beans.

     "Paul, dear, you haven't touched your meatloaf," Mimi said. "Are you feeling alright?"

     "He's fine, Mimi," John said. "He's decided to go vegetarian," John rolled his eyes.

     "Oh," Mimi said. "Well, I wish you would have said something. I would have picked up some tofu and cooked it for you. Do you want something - "

     "No, it's fine," Paul said and smiled at her reassuringly. "I'm not that hungry, anyway, and the beans are great. Thank you."

     Mimi smiled warmly at Paul. "You've always had such nice manners, Paul. I've always liked that about you."

      John rolled his eyes and George frowned.

~~~

     "You. Absolute. Show-off." George huffed as they were walking down the street, heading away from Mimi's house.

     "What?" Paul said.

     "Ugh, she likes you so much!" George said. "It's annoying!"

      John laughed. "You've always had such nice manners, Paul!" John said mockingly in a high pitched voice. "I've always admired that about you!"

      "She did not say admired!" Paul protested.

     "You know she wanted to, though." George smirked.

     "Oi!" Paul snapped. "Watch it, Harrison."

     "What're you going to do about it?" George asked challengingly.

      "I'll cripple you!" Paul laughed as he smacked George upside the head.

      "Right, like you could ever actually cripple someone, Paul," John laughed.

     "Oh!" George punched Paul's arm.

     Paul rolled his eyes, but he was grinning from ear to ear. This was how it was supposed to be. This was how it was always supposed to be between him and John and George and, one day, Ringo. But their careers and life choices had gotten in the way. Paul was determined not to let that happen this time.