Chapter 55 - Cato

(Cato's POV)

Every year, just before Christmas break, Coach Brutus throws a huge Christmas party for all of us football guys. We all bring dates, and it's a really cool deal. There's dancing, free food, and a couple of people who sneak in alcohol (which I stay away from).

Gale and I decide that if our girlfriends accept the invitation, we might as well all go in Gale's car, in case we want to go do something afterwards, like get ice cream or something. Last year, the party had a disappointing lack of that particular treat.

I ask Clove a few days before hand, at the musical.

She beams at me. "Of course I'll go!"

Gale has a bit more trouble convincing Madge.

"Will people be drinking?"

Gale shrugs. "Probably a few people, b-"

"No."

"Come on!" he pleads. "Only people like Cashmere and Marvel and idiots like them! You don't have to!"

After ten minutes, Clove and I are called into help. Finally, she grudgingly agrees. I honestly can't wait until Saturday.

Finally, the day arrives. Gale volunteered his truck to drive us, so around six he stops by my house to pick me up first. Then Madge, who claims the passenger seat, and finally Clove, who sits in the back next to me.

We pull up in front of Coach Brutus's house. There are already a ton of cars parked all around, and through the windows I can see teens dancing and laughing. We all hop out of the truck and pick our way across the lawn to the front door.

The door is pulled open as we mounts the steps to the porch, so we walk right in. Coach waves at us from across the room, but he looks like he's busy discussing something, so we weave through the crowd to the kitchen.

Finnick and Annie greet us in the kitchen, and we all gran plates and slowly edge through the line to the food.

"How's it going?" Finnick asks. His smile seems a bit forced. Annie looks a bit flustered, and I notice he's keeping a protective arm around her. I wonder if something happened.

"Awesome," Gale says, before shoving three Oreos in his mouth.

Madge rolls her eyes as a few crumbs spill out. "That's disgusting."

Gale swallows. "Actually, those were pretty good. You should try one." He dramatically presents her with an Oreo.

Annie, Madge, and Clove have a whispered conversation as Finnick tries to outdo Gale, stuffing four Oreos in his mouth. By the time their girlfriends get back, they both have cookie crumbs all over their faces, and Annie and Madge drag them off to find napkins.

The night flies by. Gale and Madge branch off to talk to some other friends, and I think they end up playing truth or dare with a small group in the kitchen. Finnick takes Annie home early, claiming she isn't feeling well.

Clove and I dance for what seems like hours, but it's perfect, and I really don't want it to end. Eventually, of course, we stop dancing, and we find ourselves alone on one of the upstairs balconies. Well, not alone, exactly, but Cashmere and whatever guy she's currently dating look a bit too wrapped up in their making out at the far end of the balcony to pay much attention to us.

I can't see much of her face in the moonlight, but I think Clove is smiling as she leans against my shoulder. We're standing at the railing, staring out over the backyard. It's littered with plastic cups, paper plates, and drunk couples, and I can faintly hear the shouts and laughter from the party downstairs.

"This was fun," Clove says quietly, shifting so she's looking up at me.

"Yeah, thanks for coming," I reply, smiling down at her. It's strange, really. By the time I'd been dating Glimmer for two months, we'd already made our on several occasions. Somehow, though, Clove and I have never even kissed. Sure, in middle school that was normal, but take one look at the passionate couple I'm trying my hardest to ignore. It's not normal once you're a junior. But somehow, it feels right. I don't want to kiss her if she's not ready, and I don't think she has been yet. But...maybe that's changed.

"You know," she whispers, turning back to look up at the sky, "This is the first party I've actually liked."

I know she's been to plenty of parties. She was one of the "popular" crowd last year. So was I. We've both changed so much since then. I don't see how we could have been so near each other, and I just ignored her. I can't imagine what that must have been like for her. Once again, I promise myself I'll never hurt her again. And no one else will, either.

She slowly turns back to look up at me. And I look down at her. And I know she's ready.

I lean down, and our lips touch, and suddenly it's like there's fire coursing through my veins. It's a very gentle kiss, but it's somehow perfect. Clove looks stunning as we pull away. She smiles shyly.

We don't talk again for a while. We don't really need to. I'm content to just stand there, holding Clove in my arms.

~~~~

I won't be updating at all next week, because I'll be at camp. If I don't die, I'll probably update again by the 27th.