www.tartmag.com

The First Time The Word VAGINA Trended

By ZZ Love

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard all about reality star Lexie Baker's abortion and her appearance on the Guy Anderson show. You might have also noticed that after the show, the word VAGINA was trending.

I'll admit it —I totally judged Lexie Baker. I wrote her off as a blip on the entertainment radar. Let's be real here: there are scores of young, pretty things on reality TV and the only time we'll know their names are for the two seconds they're famous. None of them get stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and if they do write a memoir, you'll probably only ever find it at the dollar store. They're forgettable. But not Lexie. Not after her interview on Midnight With Guy Anderson. Overnight, Lexie went from ditzy reality princess to one of her generation's few spokespeople for the new sexual revolution. She's kinda like Taylor Swift: you want to hate her, but then you look closer and you kinda love her.

Below is my interview with Lexie, who I caught up with during her trip to NYC for Guy's show. We went to Veselka to nosh on some pierogis and borscht, and we had this interview for dessert. I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've had doing an interview for Tart Magazine. I'm officially nominating Lexie for Tart of the Year.

TM: First, the question we ask every gal at Tart: are you a feminist?

LB: No. I hate that label because some of the meanest critics I have are so-called feminists. They say we girls should be allowed to do what we want and then when we do, they criticize us.

TM: What are some of the things they say?

LB: They hate my use of the word "bitch" or "bitches." I'm like, hello, it's an expression. Or they talk crap about how I dress or act. They say I'm buying into the idea of—what's the word when the dudes are in charge of everything?

TM: Patriarchy

LB: Yeah, that. Like, I'm buying into the patriarchy because I'm placing my value in my appearance. Ladies, it's called personal style. Maybe if these bitches dressed better, they'd be less angry. (Laughs) I'm kidding. But, seriously, just because I wear short skirts and like makeup and do my nails doesn't mean I don't respect myself. I respect the hell out of myself. Usually.

TM: Some of your hugest supporters since news broke of your abortion have been feminists.

LB: Yeah, they love me now. But I'm sure I'll do something to piss them off again.

TM: Speaking of loving you: who was that Lexie on Guy Anderson's show?

LB: That's me. I keep telling people that one of the reasons I want to do the Lexie Project is to show people who I really am. I just call it like I see it. I hate playing games.

TM: How do you feel about being one of the major voices in the Pro-Choice movement?

LB: I'm not a voice in the Pro-Choice movement. I'm not into politicizing my vag.

TM: A lot of people would argue that the only reason you were able to get that abortion is precisely because people politicized sex.

LB: I just think whenever someone says what they think and others like it, they get pushed into being, like, spokespeople. Look at Caitlyn Jenner. Suddenly she's supposed to be the face of trangendered people? No. She just wants to live her life. I think there are people who want to be political and that's great. I don't.

TM: But you are Pro-Choice, right?

LB: Yes. But, like, in my own way. I mean, this is the thing: abortion is fucking sad no matter which way you slice it. Laying on that table, being all scared like that—it's not something I'd wish on anyone. If someone had told me that you could get pregnant when you switch birth control, I wouldn't have had to do that. So it's really about education. The more shit we know, the less mistakes we make. It's, like, simple math.

TM: Are you saying you're Pro-Life, then?

LB: I'm pro my vagina.

TM: Meaning...?

LB: Meaning that it's my body and my choice, yes, but...Look, I come from a family with 12 other—no fourteen other kids. Most of them are adopted. They were kids their parents didn't want. I'm really freaking happy their moms didn't have abortions. So...it's a seriously complicated thing for me.

TM: So, why did you have your abortion—if you don't mind me asking?

LB: Because I didn't want a baby. I don't think anyone should be forced into having a baby. Like, some of the stuff that happened to my brothers that grew up in the foster system...When people shouldn't have kids, it's pretty obvious. Dude, this conversation is so complicated. Like, I have bad feelings about abortion. But I have worse bad feelings about not being allowed to have one. Does that make sense?

TM: Totally. Why don't we switch gears and get to the fun stuff? You are pretty outspoken about being very sexually active in high school. Did you experience any slut shaming?

LB: Not to my face, but I knew people were talking. But people have always talked about me, so it didn't bother me that much. I like having sex. I love boys. I like being wanted.

TM: So you're one of the Samanthas of the world.

LB: Yes! She's totally my favorite character on Sex and the City. But...I don't really want to end up like her. I want to find my boy. The one. And I don't want to wait forever. I'm a total romantic: I would seriously take applications for knights in shining armor.

TM: Have you ever been in love?

LB (pauses) No. Not yet.

TM: Final question: if you could get down and dirty with any celebrity in the world, who would it be?

LB: Channing Tatum. Obviously.